RAF Beret Cap Badges.. along with something else

Corps/regiment yes, service no.

RAF personnel are not supposed to wear any beret other than their own.

Unless things have changed, P Coy was to earn the beret and the parachute course itself, to earn the wings.

Tell that to the two Regiment FS who completed the AACC and returned wearing the green beret. There was one of those FS whom I knew, where even a Wg Cdr didn’t have the brass danglies to tell him not to wear it!

The man is question (also known as ‘Choppy’ or ‘Psycho’) had a bit of a reputation and I always felt that neither the Lord God nor the Devil himself would have told him.

1 Like

Sounds like fun!

No, that was the correct term for the period, i.e. RASC, RCS, RAMC, AAC, Infantry Regiment etc (Remembering of course that the “Army” doesn’t technically exist, it’s an amalgamation of different individual services.)

I stand corrected mate.

I know little about the Paras besides the dodgy stories about nights in or out with which my mate has regalled me… Paras… Bunch of nutters! :wink:

That appears not to be the whole story

1 Like

No worries mate.

As an aside, can you recall the guy who used to run the British Contingent for the Airborne March (up until around 2012)? His son was the Adjutant on our Sqn in the mid-nineties. He was ex-Para Reg and he once said to me that ‘these’ (pointing to his Flt Lt rank slides) ‘were harder to earn than these’ (pointing to his wings). When I did my FT1 at Catterick back in the day, there was a JROC course going on at the same time and we saw exactly what those guys were being put through.

When he was posted in I thought I recognised him. I’d met him when he was a Para Reg Corporal back in the early-eighties.

Mate, no-one messed with this guy and he wasn’t called ‘Psycho’ for nothing! I last saw him as a WO back in 2010 and he’s probably retired now. As a Cpl, he used to go to Kings Cross at weekends dressed as a tramp and live with homeless people. Whenever someone picked on the homeless guys (or himself) he used to hospitalise them. ‘Just to keep his skills up’, he said.

One day on a Stn Ex, he was a FS working in the WOC with a young SAC when a portly (non-Regiment) Wg Cdr entered. Psycho poked him in his gut and said ‘you’re a bit of a porker, aren’t you sir?’

The Wg Cdr knew who Psycho was, said nothing and left.

Would YOU want to tell this guy to remove his green lid and put a RAF one on? :rofl:

If anything the green lid in that case acts as a useful visual warning.

2 Likes