Questions regarding Air Cadets

I’ve found a local squadtron but it seems like they barely do any flight training but it’s called… “Air” cadets… I want to join Air cadets to flight train basically but it seems like they barely do it… any advice?

If you are planning on joining the RAFAC on the sole purpoae to gain “flight training”. Then without a doubt you will be dissappointed. Yes there are flying opportunities and scholarships avaliable. As a cadet i was lucky enough to be awarded a flying scholarship and gained a couple of hours solo. Also i was lucky enough to be a flight staff cadet at my local Gliding Squadron and got numerous solo launches. The opportunites are to gain some actual flying training however they are hard to come by.

As a rule of thumb each cadet should expect either one flight a year or a day gliding.

The organisation isn’t here to deliver flight training. Its an organisation that was set up to deliver opportunities to teenagers who are interest in the military and aviation minded. So its intention is to deliver activities that give that insight into the military and also everything thay goes with a potential career in the RAF.

If you want to learn to fly, on demand, join a flying club and potentially get more hands on experience around aircraft.
The ATC never was, never has and will never likely to be a place to learn to fly for the masses.

Best advice i can offer is join a gliding club.
There wiĺl be junior/youth discounts on joining, launches, aircraft hire either one of those three or combibation of them.

Tuition is free…so no need to be paying £100+/hr for Microlight lessons, or £200+/hr for Class A aircraft.

This time of year is ideal to be getting involved with the spring on the cusp of appearing!

If you are serious about getting in the air go gliding.

If you serious about getting in the air with an engine go find a microlight school.

If you have more money and time than an interest in flying go find a Class A school.

Whichever you decide ensure you consider the longer-term costs:
Once you have your licence and can fly solo/take a friend along how much will it cost you?
Club membership
Aircraft hire
(Even aircraft purchase)
Fuel costs (if not hired wet)
Landing fees when visiting other airfields
Minimum hours to remain current and keep your licence valid

If i was in my teens today, knowing the limited opportunities to get in the air for Cadets you’ve already identified, I’d choose gliding…

2 Likes