Query re jewellery

Hello all, I’ve got a cadet who wears a catholic cross round her neck. Is that cadet allowed to continue this?

Many thanks

1 Like

AP1358c doesnt say anything regarding necklaces, however i think for this common sense should be applied, if its not that visible and on an ordinary parade it shouldn’t be a problem, only on formal parades should it become a problem but only if its visible

I’d pretty much agree with this. If it isn’t visible then we can pretend it isn’t being worn, even though it would be more correct not to wear it.

Unlike the 5 Ks, hijabs, yarmulkes and so on there is no requirement for catholics to wear crosses and they therefore don’t enjoy the same exemptions as the aforementioned items.

1 Like

Jones i can see your necklace

its religious sir

well done Jones for having faith…but I shouldnt be able to see it

somehow “religious” seems to be an excuse. it isn’t as stated above.
if it is worn to be seen, no no no, if it is discreetly worn, then it will be nature of being “discreet” will not be seen.

The exact phrase used with regard to jewellery generally is “in a manner which can be seen is prohibited” (from memory - I’ve had to refer to it in the past.

If it regularly “pops out” from behind the shirt, get a longer chain.

from AP1358c 1.07

Common misunderstanding, none of the above are ‘required’ by religion to be worn. They are worn out of choice. Just because permission to wear a cross is not explicitly stated doesn’t mean the same protection cannot be afforded for other religious items.

I would echo the point of not visible on formal parades… but that doesn’t even need mentioning as on formal parades ie. long sleeves, tie and trousers, its not an issues as the necklace will not be visible.

Well, religion is a choice so obviously this is the case.

Think you missed my point. You can be Muslim and not wear a head scarf, you can be Sikh and not wear the 5 Ks, you can be Christian and wear a cross. It all depends on the background of the individual. Therefor it is unreasonable to say you cannot wear one religion symbol but you can wear another, regardless of how obtrusive or not they are.

There may be a subtle difference in play, but I admit to neither knowing enough about the specifics of these beliefs, nor really giving too much of a toss about it.

Which of these various items is a stated requirement in the relevant religious text? Whether an individual personally chooses not to wear the thing, we seem to be making allowances in our dress code to allow these religious “requirements” to be worn.

Now, which of the other religions has no such statement of requirement for their followers to wear a thing? In those cases there is no leeway granted and therefore any items that the person may otherwise choose to wear as a symbol of their personal belief is irrelevant.

There are stated exceptions in the dress regs to permit certain “religious” items. Christians have no listed exceptions, presumably because there are no such requirements.

There are certain things which form an integral part of following a religion and associated texts/beliefs - turbans, beards, (dare I say it dreadlocks - although a grey and debatable issue in some circumstances), etc.
The wearing of a cross, a St Christopher, or other is truly a matter of choice as it is not laid down in text or decreed by religious leaders/statute. Its meaning is personal to the wearer, as it could be argued any item of jewellery could hold a sentimental value for any number of non-religious grounds.

Having said that, it’s all pretty irrelevant as it is not prohibited, only should be kept hidden.

I actually have a bigger problem after festival season with access wristbands to be honest.

“Oh, I forgot I was wearing” a wide, fluorescent, tatty bit of plastic round my wrist?

Never understood that one. You don’t see people leaving their hospital wristbands on!

Similar to those who want to advertise their faith with a sign of the fish on their car…

Why the need to flaunt your religion?

People want to announce what is important to them, such as someone may wear a band t-shirt. There is no real harm in it but it isn’t always appropriate and there is always the risk someone else might be offended by it (in which case let them be offended)