Pros and cons of going into uniform

Hi all.

CI of a year, having been one a few years back in a different wing for about a year as well, before moving around for work and real life.

Current unit is attempting to gently persuade me into going into uniform (ie, the thumbscrews have not yet made an appearance), among their reasoning being that I’ve previously served in the RAF and am a “good fit”.

I have my own thoughts on the matter, but wondered if people would care to share their pros and cons of joining the RAFAC blue suit (as an officer), both from the old and bald (not a typo), and from anybody who’s only recently begun their journey…

Pros

• Can claim volunteer allowance
  • Feeling of fitting in more closely
  • Acceptance by the few staff who dismiss CIs for no other reason than being CIs
  • People won’t get butt-hurt if you involve yourself in stuff that requires uniform (shooting, road marching)

Cons

• Expectation that you will actually do stuff - min hours etc.
  • Saluting and all that poop.
  • Having to wear uniform

Until they take it away :kissing:

1 Like

There were 2 pros for me: being more able to direct the squadron I was on and have things done more my way, and claiming pay.

Cons: you will take responsibility for things other non uniformed staff don’t have to (i.e. when you need something done and no one else volunteers, that falls to you). People will ask you more about moving squadrons. You will have to deal with angry parents more than CIs do. You have to put up with more politics than CIs do. You can’t grow a lovely beard (assuming you’re male).

Everyone will have a view of the plus / minus points of being in uniform adults.

From the perspective of someone who went into uniform and came out, I cannot now see many plusses and would not even consider it today, as the Corps has lost its ‘hobby element’ for its uniformed staff, which as a ‘born again’ CI I’ve been able to rediscover as I now pick and choose my activities.

About the only plusses are getting paid and if you become a Sqn Cdr, like PEP says direct how things are done. Although there are now a string of conditions that go with this. In the modern ATC you operate within what are increasingly tight constraints of compulsory elements and as the OC you have the unenviable job to cajole staff to help you do these and that’s never been an easy job. At one time Sqn Cdrs had a degree of flexibility and freedom (for want of a word) to run squadrons and to some extent pick and choose, but that has long since gone.
There is also today the spectre of social media which can be your friend but as you can see from on here very easily bite if you do commit something regarded as a heinous crime and the ‘thought police’ get hold of it.
As a Sqn Cdr the crap stops with you and do not think the powers that be will even consider you have a life (family, job and other interests) outside the Air Cadet microcosm, and never dare to have problems in your personal life that affects what you do in the ATC, as the CoC couldn’t care less. Rather than support they will distance themselves from you and just make life difficult. Remember as uniformed staff, the ATC has to come first in all things you do. Also you would become the CO of an Air Cadet squadron in a time the Air Cadets have seen a marked decline in support from the RAF (which itself I would consider is struggling with its role) at the same time is seems to want to exert more influence and control.

Before becoming a sqn cdr you will have to do things to prepare, like do the jobs that people try to avoid like adj, TO and increasingly H&S, so that you have a pretty good handle on things, when you take the loneliest seat in the house. If being a sqn cdr is your goal, get as much experience as possible dealing with problems that arise.

Hand on heart the only thing I miss from being in uniform is getting ‘paid’ when able to claim. It is certainly a spoonful of sugar. I don’t miss the cadet only parades which you obliged to attend if you are in uniform, which are only really for wing staff to hob nob with invited guests (normally including some very senior officer) and ignoring the people that really matter.

So if I ditch the uniform I can grow a beard? Will you let my follicles know? :joy:

In all seriousness though there’s pros and cons to the uniformed role. If you’re going officer, be prepared to run a squadron at some point and the gravitas that goes with that (even if / when things go wrong).
But on the other hand, when things go right it’s a joy to know that directly or indirectly, it’s because of you (even if you were just steering the ship or allowing people to do what they want to do).

2 Likes

I’d say consider what it is you want to do within the organisation.

As a CI, you’re supposed to be expected to deliver lessons, plan / run activities, help transport to events etc…

As an SNCO, you’d be expected to do much the same, but also look at dress & discip, drill, and other such things, however you can claim volunteer allowance.

As an officer, you are looking more at the administration of a unit and activities, so you can become a bit more desk bound. Some people are natural administrators however, so this can be their “Thing” so to speak.

When it comes to activities such as fieldcraft etc… being in uniform is a must to undertake certain roles “ECO for example” so this can drive some people into uniform as this is something they wish to do.

I am a firm believer that CIs are the life-blood of this organisation. No-one should feel pressured into putting on a uniform if they don’t want to, and so they should be made aware of the various roles they can undertake and what the commitment is. Uniform service can be rewarding just as civilian instructors can also feel it is a rewarding position. We need people to break down the stigmas some attach to a particular role.

At the end of the day it a personal choice, also take some pro’s and cons with a pinch of salt. The organisation varies massively from one region to another, one wing to another and squadron to squadron. People have differing experiences, positive and negative, it is what you make it though.

3 Likes