Promotion to Corporal Letter

Sorry would anyone mind reviewing my possible first draft of a letter to my commanding officer, as I need to send it to her by Tuesday. I am not yet first class, but she said to send it anyway as I should be by the next promotions.

Plt Off ___________,
(____) Squadron

Ma’am,

As an aspiring member of ___ Squadron, I believe I am ready to embrace the responsibility of being promoted to corporal. During my brief time with the Air Training Corps, I have gained knowledge and life skills, and have taken every opportunity given to me. Over the past couple of years, I have participated in leadership roles outside of cadets, as I was voted to become a house leader last year for my form, which involved me planning alongside other house representatives and teachers about potential charity events and other changes to regular school life. During this time, I learned the importance of teamwork, which is crucial to becoming an NCO, and I believe the skills I learnt over that period are easily transferable to cadets. I am also a very well organised person (for example, completing the Flight Simulator Theory Module within a week, and I intend on completing my leading class cadet badge almost as soon as I reach first class). In the future, I plan on taking every opportunity available to me as a cadet, and learning even more than I already have during my time with ___ Squadron. In addition, I intend on taking part in the Duke Of Edinburgh going into year 10, and I am now in the position where I believe I am able to give back to ___ and the RAF Air Cadets organisation as a whole.

Personally, I believe becoming a JNCO would help me develop my confidence, and also make the squadron even more enjoyable to any new recruits coming in the next year. I would bring a lot of ideas to the current NCO team, and I have already gathered some ideas on potential activities to engage cadets, and still teach them about aviation and useful life skills, including NCO night ideas such as:
-Aviation quizzes
-Emergency response exercises (that would either include first aid or having cadets react to possible threats within squadron premises)
-Large escape room where cadets would only be able to communicate through morse code between teams (inspired by Corporal ____’s leadership exercise a few weeks ago, but on a much larger scale).
All of these exercises would teach cadets valuable skills, but still be engaging and enjoyable, and they are only a fraction of my total ideas for the squadron.

Another idea I would bring to the squadron is having a monthly ‘uniform night’ for newer cadets or anyone who wishes to take part, allowing people to bring (shoe polish, for example, or have cadets come in civvies and have those who need it mould their berets with help from the NCO team and anyone else who is able), and spend the first half of the night simply improving their uniform, something which I am improving on very quickly, and want to help the other cadets at as well. I believe this would help confidence when in uniform in public areas, as well as bring better representation to our squadron and the ATC. Cadets should take pride in their uniform, and I believe this could help with that. I don’t think anyone on the squadron finds uniform enjoyable, and it might help many to have uniforms be done in part at cadets, so that it does not feel like it is taking large chunks out of their day.
I believe it would also help the squadron if we could hold more public events around _________ not necessarily public parades or even in uniform, just small promotional events to bring attention to the Air Training Corps, and maybe encourage more potential recruits to join.
I believe I can give a lot more back to the squadron as a corporal than as a cadet, and I hope I can bring some enjoyable ideas to the current NCO team.

Cdt. ________

If anyone can think of anything to change, please tell me.

It’s a good start, but many of the points you have made are missing the key “so what?” factor.

As an example, you talk about your leadership at school. So what? Whilst it’s great you have that opportunity, what does that mean for your squadron if you were to be promoted?

Run back through your letter, look at points that you have made and see if there is a “so what?” piece that you can add to each of them.

And don’t worry too much about this feedback; missing the “so what?” is exceptionally common in NCO application letters, and you have included a few which is more than many cadets manage.

1 Like

Ok thanks.

Selling yourself short here. A couple years is quite a long time in a Cadet career.

I only joined about a year ago, I mean that I was elected as house leader at school a couple of years ago. I will edit it and make that more obvious.

Plt Off. __,
(
) Squadron

Ma’am,

As an aspiring member of ___ Squadron with an enthusiastic attitude towards the ATC, I am eager to embrace the responsibility of being promoted to corporal. During my brief time with the Air Training Corps, I have taken every opportunity presented to me. I believe that my leadership experience, and dedication to the ATC make me a strong candidate for the role of a Junior Non-Commissioned Officer (JNCO).

Throughout the past couple of years, I have actively engaged in leadership roles outside of cadets. I put myself forward and was then elected as a house leader in my school, collaborating with other representatives and teachers to plan charity events and enhance school life. This experience taught me the importance of teamwork, a skill that I recognise as crucial in becoming an NCO. I firmly believe that the leadership skills I developed during this time are easily transferable to cadet life, which would be advantageous to the NCO team.

Furthermore, I take great pride in my organisational abilities. Completing the Flight Simulator Theory Module within a week and my commitment to achieving my leading class cadet badge soon after attaining first class are testament to my discipline, dedication and conscientious approach. These organisational skills will only benefit further my level of preparation for parade nights.

Looking to the future, I am dedicated to making the most of every opportunity available as a cadet and to continuously participate in every exercise and activity during my time with ___ Squadron. Additionally, I plan on participating in the Duke of Edinburgh program in year 10, further enriching my experiences and contributions to both ___ Squadron and the RAF Air Cadets organisation as a whole.

Becoming a JNCO is not only a personal goal but also a chance for me to further develop my confidence and contribute to the growth and enjoyment of parade nights, especially for new recruits. I already have many ideas to enhance the cadet experience and engage others in aviation related activities and other life skills.

Some of my proposed NCO night activities include:

-aviation quizzes with prizes
-emergency response exercises encompassing first aid or handling potential threats within squadron premises
-a large escape room exercise where two teams of cadets communicate solely through Morse code, inspired by Corporal ____’s leadership exercise a few weeks ago, but on a much greater scale.

Moreover, I believe implementing a monthly ‘uniform night’ for newer cadets and those interested would be beneficial. This event would provide an opportunity for cadets to improve their uniforms, receive guidance from the NCO team, and take pride in their appearance, enhancing our squadron’s overall representation and professionalism.

Furthermore, I suggest organising more public charity events in and around _________ to raise awareness of the Air Training Corps. These events would not necessarily require formal parades or uniforms but can be simple promotional gatherings that not only support charities but also attract potential recruits to join the ATC.

I believe that my promotion to corporal would enable me to give back even more to ___ Squadron and the ATC community. My commitment to the ATC and the experiences I have gathered over the past year have shaped me into a dedicated and capable individual, eager to contribute my ideas and positive attitude to the current NCO team.

Cdt. __________

I’ve made some major improvements; what do you think?

Maybe give an example of where your leadership skills would come in handy as a Cdt Cpl.

Shows you understand what a JNCO does and evidences why you’d be a great Cpl.

On a side/personal note, I still remember the day I got Cdt Cpl back in 2012. It honestly did massively improve my confidence and definitely was a turning up in my life from relative shy lad to the person I am today.

I added one thing for each of the points you made. Can you find anything else wrong with it?

I have the opportunity to be promoted to corporal if I give my CO the letter tomorrow. Can you think of anything to add, please be harsh, I want this to be the best letter possible.

Plt Off. ,
___ (
____) Squadron

Ma’am,

As an aspiring member of ___Squadron with an enthusiastic attitude towards the ATC, I am eager to embrace the responsibility of being promoted to corporal. During my brief time with the Air Training Corps, I have taken every opportunity available to me. I believe that my leadership experience, and dedication to the ATC make me a strong candidate for the role of a Junior Non-Commissioned Officer (JNCO).

Throughout the past couple of years, I have actively engaged in leadership roles outside of cadets. I put myself forward and was then elected as a house leader at school, collaborating with other representatives and teachers to plan charity events and enhance school life. This experience taught me the importance of teamwork, a skill that I recognise as crucial in becoming an NCO. I firmly believe that the leadership skills I developed during this time are easily transferable to cadet life, which would be advantageous to the NCO team, as they would be very beneficial when it comes to taking the squadron on parade and teaching lessons to recruits.

Furthermore, I take great pride in my organisational abilities. Completing the Flight Simulator Theory Module within a week and my commitment to achieving my leading class cadet badge soon after attaining first class are testament to my discipline, dedication and conscientious approach. These organisational skills will only benefit further my level of preparation for parade nights.

Looking to the future, I am dedicated to making the most of every opportunity available as a cadet and to continuously participate in every exercise and activity during my time with ___Squadron. Additionally, I plan on participating in the Duke of Edinburgh program in year 10, further enriching my experiences and contributions to both ___Squadron and the RAF Air Cadets organisation as a whole.

Becoming a JNCO is not only a personal goal but also a chance for me to further develop my confidence and contribute to the growth and enjoyment of parade nights, especially for new recruits. I already have many ideas to enhance the cadet experience and engage others in aviation related activities and other life skills.

Some of my proposed NCO night activities include:

-aviation quizzes with prizes
-emergency response exercises encompassing first aid or handling potential threats within squadron premises
-a large escape room exercise where two teams of cadets communicate solely through Morse code, inspired by Corporal ____’s leadership exercise a few weeks ago, but on a much greater scale.

Moreover, I believe implementing a monthly ‘uniform night’ for newer cadets and those interested would be beneficial. This event would aid other corporals in fulfilling one of their main duties, keeping cadets uniform in good shape and clean, as well as providing an opportunity for cadets to improve their uniforms, receive guidance from the NCO team, and take pride in their appearance, enhancing our squadron’s overall representation and professionalism.

Furthermore, I suggest organising more public charity events in and around ___________to raise awareness of the Air Training Corps. These events would not necessarily require formal parades or uniforms but can be simple promotional gatherings that not only support charities but also attract potential recruits to join the ATC.

I believe that my promotion to corporal would enable me to give back even more to ___ Squadron and the ATC community. My commitment to the ATC and the experiences I have gathered over the past year have shaped me into a dedicated and capable individual, eager to contribute my ideas and positive attitude to the current NCO team.

Cdt. ___________

Might be a bit late. But that was amazing. You really sold yourself. All i wouldve done to improve it would be answering questions that typically someone would ask in an interview; e.g why do you want to be a corporal?

Other than that it was honestly one of the best letters ive read on here. Good luck on your promotion!

1 Like

Now I’m a bit late, but thanks

2 Likes

Have you heard back yet regarding promotions?

1 Like

Not yet, some of the staff who would have a say in promotions have had difficulty in getting down to the squadron. I think it will probably be CO’s parade in September.

Would’ve thought an email or two to discuss would resolve that issue…

We all have our fingers crossed for you anyhow :slight_smile:

1 Like

So would I, but my CO doesn’t seem to think so… Thanks

Im sure that when the promotions come round you will be ranked up! That letter proves it. Let us know what happens

I will

However many months later, I’ve at least had my interview, I think it went decently. CO said she is at a stalemate between two cadets (hopefully including me).

She’s certainly really taking her time if she still hasn’t promoted anyone.

Maybe she’s giving more time for potential Cpls to develop some more.