Programming own radios

The little springs - were they attached via a little springy V-shaped wire clip which you pushed up through holes in the board? If so I still have mine - Phillips Electronics Engineer!

I think so, or it might have been a twist to fit type design. I do remember they were a real pain as to connect 2 wires or components at an angle you had to bend the spring in such a way that the first wire would come out, on inserting the second.

Probably why I dumped the idea of engineering as a career!

I had in mind that weā€™re talking about these type of spring connectorsā€¦

I canā€™t quite visualise what you mean.

1 Like

I know, it was a rubbish description. I have the whole thing up in the loft somewhere but heaven knows where!!! Meanwhile, Google is my friend and found this

Basically you pushed hairpin spring 20 up through an appropriate hole (roughly 3/16 dia) in the base board and then pushed spring 21 over it so the bottom (more tightly coiled) bit of the spring 21 was below the wider part of hairpin 21, thus clamping hairpin 21 to the board.
Depressing the top of spring 21 allowed you to insert component wires so they would be clamped against the end of the hairpin when you released the pressure on the spring.
Now I am trying to resist the urge to go up the loft and finding it!!!

1 Like

Ahhh. Iā€™ve got you.

That is way more involved than the one I had, which mounted the springs through a plastic board.

Absolutely get it down from the loft. STEM in action!