Programming own radios

Definately will. I have a lot to look into first though, would like to have a project in mind before I start mindlessly plugging components into a breadboard just to see what happens.

I had one of those when I was younger. Likewise it was one of my best presents ever and led to my keen interest in electronics and engineering in general!

I had a crumble kit, little board just like an arduino but catered to beginners and kids. Used block programming and all. Made a line following robot with it, was great fun.

Those project kits will guide you through from introducing components and what they do; into basic circuits, explaining how it all works; and on into more complex circuits.
It’s a great way to learn.

2 Likes

There’s quite a few good electronics kits out there and though aimed at school level they work quite well.

I can’t remember the exact brand but there is one that has the components mounted onto plastic modules with press studs. You could probably adapt the little modules to hold different parts if you can solder.

Much easier to set up and then strip down than old school breadboards, and more versatile than the one I had as a kid which could only make a few projects due to the size of the base (mine had little springs attached to the base and you connected each part or cable to the springs).

1 Like

Can you post some links to those?

1 Like

This one here is my favourite, very good on a computer as its got plenty of keyboard shortcuts which makes it relatively easy to use and it has plenty of components, only missing like a centre tapped transformer. Has a few common IC’s in there too.

Breadboards seem relatively simple to be honest, just plug and play as long as you know what you’re doing.

Thr downside with breadboard is that it’s hard to troubleshoot once circuits get complicated, so check and double-check as you go.

But you can expand into far more complicated circuits on breadboard than you’ll achieve with component ‘modules’.

I still use my old kit sometimes because it’s got a large breadboard as well as other useful components included with the spring contacts, and runs on 6 AA with taps every 1.5v.
…Still handy even after almost 30 years.

Fiddly though - I liked the clip together ones when they were used on a STEM thing because they weee pretty robust. Unlike the spring loaded ones of my youth!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen people build whole computers on breadboards (obviously not very advanced) and it gets quite complicated but with good wire management it can at least be neat.

It looks like the Regional and Wing Radio Officer advisors and technical guys that used to advise on radio matters and people like myself who used to acquire and supply suitable radio kit (anyone remember Radio Project 90) are either NOT being consulted, used, or are no longer in the Corps…

The one thing the parent service provided the Corps was a proliferation of allocated frequencies to operate on but no equipment.

There are restrictions on mode (FM, AM, USB, LSB, CW etc) bandwidth (12.5 KHz narrowband, 25 MHz wideband at VHF/UHF) power output, and if accessing a Tango ( Corps) repeater CTCSS.

Years back a lot of squadrons did not seek advice and purchased PMR 446 handie talkies and even CB’s and used military ‘style’ voice procedures with Corps call signs… The Air Cadet Communication Consultative Committee (ACCCC) did a sterling job of bringing the Corps up to speed and creating a standard and training standard that was the envy of the Cadet Forces…

Has that work all been lost?

What above actually suggests this?

Considering much of what you mentioned regarding what is “standard” has been covered within the thread, I’m not sure what you’re trying to add?

We still have standards, I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to say. The reason I created this thread was to ask about the standards. We all still operate on our allocated frequencies - we don’t use CB or PMR446. The only time we operate outside the ATC frequencies is in an ATC amateur radio club (which I’m not even sure still exist).

1 Like

Why are staff looking for channel data when it’s in the public domain!

Why are you ranting about PMR446 instead of responding to the original query or anything raised since? It’s worth considering as well that not everyone here actually is staff…

People ask questions when they need help. Those who are more knowledgeable - like you perhaps are - generally respond in a helpful manner albeit sometimes with a joke or two along the way. You’ve chosen to complain about a non-existent problem when you could have provided details or a link to this “public domain” information.

Bader Sharepoint has undergone a number of changes and shuffles, some things aren’t where they used to be. Documents have been rewritten and information moved or removed from within. It is not unusual for even the oldest and boldest to need a pointer to something now and then and there is no fault to apportion to any person asking for assistance. Even more so in this instance considering the enquiry was not what might be considered “standard practice”. There’s an additional context clue that OP doesn’t currently have Sharepoint access and would therefore NEED to ask or look elsewhere or at the very least know what they needed to request and which subsite or directory it is stored in.

5 Likes

Oh! I see that some people don’t read well! The statement about PMR446 & CB was stated in an historic context, the original thread was asking about channel data, etc. The thread originator has ‘ham’ credentials but at an unknown level. Myself and others would love to help but need a better understanding of what channels his 5 Handies are on? Stateing V2, V5, etc would help and not compromise frequency security (:joy::rofl:) but remember this channel name and frequency data Is in the public domain…

His equipment may have originated from our project some years back, if so I will have all that data…

A lot of us old hands are electronic engineers, hams, and long serving staff. We lurk on the forum looking for ways to help others… We dislike the fact that SOME members seem to jump in without reading!

Ok, if everyone could stay on topic and stop being so passive aggressive that would be great.

4 Likes

@Novet have you got any other info for @comms_uk now they’ve asked for it/specified?

1 Like

We know which channels the 5 handsets are on, all victor, and my personal handset can reach all of the channels they’re on. All I was asking was whether there were any required standards for if I wanted to program my own handset to ATC frequencies, for example CTCSS and bandwidth.