Preparing to Return to F2F Activity... Again/Still

Would be nice to have that sort of transparency with our CoC when our plan is decided.

1 Like

Pigs will fly…

Although there was the RAFAC 2020 Forum Videos uploaded, so maybe there is hope.

We do need further transparency across the board in my opinion, routine publication of ACMB Minutes would be a good start

2 Likes

Do people actually think there will be a return to F2F activities in September ? I don’t for the following reasons-

Squadrons will not be allowed back into buildings until HQAC, and that will be after RFCA have assured they are safe.

Squadrons won’t be back until the CoC is ready, back up to speed.

Personally, HQAC will be back in September, quickly followed by Regions. Wing will be soon after that, with squadrons probably not until October half term if we are lucky.

But HQAC and the RFCA’s should have been working remotely this whole time. . .

I’m doubtful to be honest.

There was a Bader Announcements email came out on the 12th of June which seemed to indicate something similar to what you have suggested.

The email said they are currently drafting their first proposal paper for consideration but who knows what kind of timeline that’s on…

I can also see a period where squadron staff will be allowed to return to buildings a couple of weeks before any cadets set foot.

Personally I don’t think anything will happen until the new commandant is in place in late Sept. I can’t see the COS wanting to make that decision as a temporary post holder.

1 Like

I honestly wouldnt be suprised to see it pushed back to Jan but who knows ?!

1 Like

I hope so. Otherwise I’ll probably be telling my cadets to hold off for a week at least. I’ve got a massive internal reorganisation to finish. Everything is in the main hall, having been half way through when the lockdown arrived.

Once we (CFAVs) are allowed back into the building I intend to do so and empty our stores and re-org as when i looked in on day 1 as OC it was like a bomb site. Should we be able to include our SNCOs in that task, and other pre return actions then I would.

The RAFAC may allow a return on 1 Sep 20, however 1234 Sqn will return when it is safe to do so, which for me includes conducting these key maintenance tasks along with the 1st monthly H&S inspection, I want to be take this opportunity to be 100% compliant rather than always chasing a deadline.

I do wonder what people making these decisions have been doing for nigh on 3 months? I know it depends on the advice / guidance, but we had a ‘loose plans’ for our offices sorted out for continuing being at work and remote working a week and half before it happened, and some of us have been in on a rota, working from home or combination ever since.
So for HQAC to just be considering a 1st draft of a proposal is bizarre. Have they just got back from their hols?

Well they need to get on with it, I’ve got a replacement OC to handover to!

I’ll be following the guidance from above, but will be supporting my OCs in returning to squadrons at THEIR pace.

2 Likes

I think I’d want one or two evenings at the building with the staff, just to have a proper check of the building, do the usual H&S stuff and plan how we then operate locally within whatever restrictions / guidance is in place.

Otherwise I’d be happy to get going again September, if not before. I find it a bit silly having the building sanitised, it has been empty since mid March so anything that was in there would be dead by now.

The cynic in me does half expect the resume date to be January though by the time we jump through all the hoops and get past any other barriers.

Except for things like: black mould, other fungus, termites, rodent infestations, potential exposure to asbestos if Roland and his mates have been chewing through the building fabric and exposing…

Whilst hopefully most of us will be free of these problems there is more general consideration and duty of care to ensure that we (as an organisation) don’t just open the doors and allow everyone to walk back into a potential health hazard.

Absolutely, hence why I want at least a couple of night to check the building, but my post referred primarily to Covid. Thankfully my building is fairly modern and so far has been free of all those!

All of which could’ve been avoided if they hadn’t issued contradictory orders to maintain our minibuses and keep an eye on the buildings when passing but forbidding us from going inside.

1 Like

Aye, but it’s we as staff that they also have a duty to protect. Which would be why people are being told that the RFCA will need to arrange for proper inspection to be carried out (by ‘professionals’ rather than Joe Bloggs CFAV) before we can return.

It’s been good enough for me as Joe Bloggs to tell people and record H&S issues up to now by RFCAs, I can’t see that changing.

If I have to actively check my fire extinguishers are in date and usable, that our fire alarm works, that there are no plumbing or electrical problems and have done for years, why would they now consider me unqualified? (For the record I’ve argued against this several times as I am most definitely unqualified, but it would be sod’s law that now they finally pay someone to come and check)

3 Likes

If RFCA impose those restrictions then I will follow, we will have to, but if they were to decide it is not necessary, I’d probably be down there the same or next day to start all the other processes etc.