Preparing to Return to F2F Activity... Again/Still

This. This right here. Although I don’t agree with the intensity of some of the rules; they’re there to be followed. For some of us that means not being able to open up. When we then see others posting on SM in breach of the rules it can be annoying.

This isn’t about covid shaming. Just on the face of it it’s appearing as one rule for some, another for others. Or people just being blatantly oblivious.

I saw one squadron upload a photo that included 3 members of staff with arms around each others shoulders linking arms (just checked, noticed the wexo has also ‘liked’ the photo…). Yet here I am still not back to the unit as there isn’t enough room in the offices…

4 Likes

I do totally agree with you. I for one will keep the bubbles until such a time the guidance changes but I do believe we now need to be changing the mindset of how we are going to live with this virus and still make the cadet experience great without massive of restrictions.

I loved my cadet career of interacting with others and loving every experience I had. I don’t know if I would even enjoy the current cadet experience underneath a mask

1 Like

I saw that one of the units in my wing did a spot of Road Marching recently.

Except, they all had to be walking single file, 3-4 paces apart, wearing face masks and presumably not singing.

Which for me, ruins road marching. I don’t see me even trying to run it until it can be done properly.

That’s saying something. It’s hard to ruin an already terrible activity :wink::wink:

6 Likes

I enjoy it, particularly as a staff member, because it’s one of the few activities where we have to work as hard physically, if not more, as the cadets. (Unlike Ten Tors for example where the cadets do the event while the staff watch.) It’s also a real challenge to motivate the team when you’re all knackered, and you get the chance to really build your team.

But, this looked like just doing it for the sake of doing it.

3 Likes

My Sqn has been back about a month now.

Starting off relatively easy (activities this month) with uniform refresher, Comms refresher & games, STEM*, Leadership Tasks and Navigation Refresher.

*STEM plan is a course of 4 evenings (over the course of 2 months) where we set a task to build a self propelled vehicle - Night 1 - Plan, Night 2 - Build, Night 3 - Test and adapt, Night 4 - Competition.

Parading 8-14 per evening on average, its good to see the cadets back - I was very surprised to see the level of excitement and competitiveness between the cadets over a simple game of Battleship across the radio!

End of last month Wing ran a staff training weekend - I started my RMTL course - (Assessment is this weekend) - other courses were FA, Comms, Adj Masterclass, Trg Off. Masterclass etc.

End of this month is the next ‘Training weekend’ for the staff and cadets including start of an RM Blue badge course, but I agree with @Baldrick it’ll be weird without the singing. There’s also a Fieldcraft Instructor Reshesher!

5 Likes

Love it!

Just to clarify - nothing to extreme - just a little bottle rocket car type thing

2 Likes

Wow. I want to join your wing.

1 Like

Ran a short nav session last night which I enjoyed. What I did struggle with was the rushing home from work, eating, turning round and rushing out again for the 25 min drive. Still struggling to find the motivation (to then find the time) to do stuff like training programme planning. Running defined activities? Cool - fun for me & the cadets and beneficial. Have not gotten motivation back for all the other guff.

7 Likes

my thoughts also

1 Like

Unless this has changed again, there’s no need for facemasks outside.

If I recall correctly from another thread, they are worn during road marching when they’ve moved over for a vehicle (i.e. in a single column) and therefore can’t remain socially distanced.

The pics I saw yesterday were doing both? Single file, well spaced apart, and masks.

The drill requirements still stipulate masks and at least 2m spacing even if outside.

It’s almost as though there’s an inbuilt tendency for disparity in a document which is cobbled together from various different SME individual interpretations.

2 Likes

Is it one set of rules for drill indoors and out?

Yes.
It’s basically “Drill outdoors where possible. If indoors, then be prepared for it to be particularly limiting”.

So no change to bubbles. NYA recommendation stays at 15.

The oernight residentials seems more restrictive than I was led to believe in a conversation about the NACATCs the other night so I’ve asked for a bit of a feeling whether we might gravitate towards the NYA end of the scale.

I’ve only had time to skim read that part but I agree. 6 including staff?