Pre-Election Period

Somebody’s showing their age! :wink:

Pretty sure local radio is a no during the pre election period

1 Like

Or a shooting badge being awarded…

1 Like

So I assume those who are standing in the election can still use photos that involve the MOD for their campaigns? Like this:

Surely that needs reporting?

1 Like

I was undecided on who to vote for until now, but the Para Ice Cream party will definitely get my vote!

1 Like

That definitely seems inappropriate for a candidate to be using cadets in their promo.

2 Likes

Does this apply to the CCF?

On the grounds that schools can post what they like about school activities & very often the poster is not part of the CCF at school.

1 Like

My understanding is that the pre-election rules don’t apply to confidantes in the same way.

So the Squadron as an organisation can’t post “here we are with wonderful candidate X who has always supported us” as that would be a public entity influencing the election but candidate X isn’t restricted from posting “here I am with 1234 Squadron I’m a big supporter of youth in the community and if elected I’ll continue to do so” as that’s a candidate saying where they stand on a political issue.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is my understanding of it too, so that photo is fine. It would be inappropriate for the unit to allow new photos to be made up for PR purposes, but old photos are fair game. At least that’s how I think it is.

Nus is (or at least was?) the squadron president of 1414 sqn, so does have some close-ish ties. I still dislike her with every bone in my body though, as she’s not helped represent this area in parliament at all and never responds to emails, yet seems to keep getting reelected!

1 Like

Might just be you? :rofl:

But we still can’t post about a recruitment night…makes absolute sense?!?!

The UK: “Public servants need to be very careful what they say and do, and never say anything too political during pre-election time.”

Meanwhile in America:

1 Like

Different system. He is an elected official (and has ambitions for higher office it seems)

https://www.riversidesheriff.org/689/Sheriff-Chad-Bianco

He appears to have ambitions to start in a remake of Tombstone

1 Like

Which I get, but can’t imagine this is something that HQ Media would be pleased with?

To me, it could be interpreted that (it still seems like) an apolitical organisation is endorsing someone.

1 Like

They may not be happy, but frankly that’s a then problem.

You know, fellows, when I heard that a General Election had been called, my first thought was to go on my ATC Squadron’s social media page, as well as the RAFAC intranet, and start proselytising on behalf of my favoured political party.

Since I am now barred from doing such things during the ‘pre-election period’ (whatever that means: any time during an MP’s tenure should be considered as ‘pre-election’ if they want to keep their job), presumably I am allowed political campaigning the rest of the time between elections.

Once again, a problem has been created where none existed before, except in the minds of those who live on Planet Authority, who must now solve the newly-created non-existent problem in order to remind us who’s in charge. :crazy_face::v:

4 Likes

I’ve just had one of the candidates in my constituency ask if they can borrow the Sqn minibus, to use as their campaign ‘battle bus’.

They want to put their party stickers on it, but are happy to leave the RAFAC and Sqn branding on show.

Because I am incredibly thick and HQAC haven’t issued any directive, I have willingly handed over the keys!

1 Like

So interesting one, Sunak and Starmer were both at Normandy events yesterday, how does that play with Purdah?!