PRC 320 or 351?

Thinking of buying a CLANSMAN radio now that they and the ancils are everywhere and cheap.

But 320 or 351?

Which do you think is the better one? Which is more versatile?

I like the modular construction of the 351 with SURF, 20w amps, hand winders etc, but the long range performance of the 320 intrigues me, buy I understand you need to some magic with antennas.

Any views?

What would you want a clansman radio for?

Clansman?? Why?? Don’t do it, they’re dreadful!

The ONLY thing to consider with Clansman is that its old and may have been mistreated.

The 351 is a lo-band VHF unit so finding someone to talk to might be tricky.
The 320 , if you get a good one, is a cracking HF unit. You can use in at your unit, out in a field, wherever you like. You can have a whip antennae, longwire, dipole or vehicle mount
Downside- 24-28v - batteries - the rechargeable ones need a power supply and DCCU. They are also very old. You can get non rechargeable batteries but they are rare. However you can use a couple of 12v batteries and rig up a lead to power it up.

My own 320 is a superb set. Just using a longwire on a wet hedge I managed to chat to RIAT (when they did HF) and a BA flight near Frankfurt. There are plenty of experts within the ACO.

Modern stuff is quite cheap & reliable …but not as much fun

[quote=“ddr61” post=26011]
The 320 , if you get a good one, is a cracking HF unit. You can use in at your unit, out in a field, wherever you like.[/quote]

The problem is that clansman goes out of service in September and as far I know the safety case hasn’t been extended. They would not be allowed to be used by cadets.

What you do in your back garden is your own business!

.It does?
Why?

[quote=“talon” post=26012][quote=“ddr61” post=26011]
The 320 , if you get a good one, is a cracking HF unit. You can use in at your unit, out in a field, wherever you like.[/quote]

The problem is that clansman goes out of service in September and as far I know the safety case hasn’t been extended. They would not be allowed to be used by cadets.

What you do in your back garden is your own business![/quote]Army cadets could break ball bearings. Never allow them near anything you own if it is valuable, electronic or mechanical. I won’t even allow mine within 2 metres of my car.

A 320 or 351, millitarised for ‘squaddy’ use is still too fragile for an army cadet.

I want the radio for me. I am slowly turning into a doomsday prepper :blink:

[quote=“talon” post=26012][quote=“ddr61” post=26011]

What you do in your back garden is your own business![/quote]

I did some digging…

The ATC can, and will, continue to use its clansman because it is effectively private property. The ACF are having their Clansman withdrawn as it is still MOD property and the service contract is finishing.

[quote=“ddr61” post=26143][quote=“talon” post=26012][quote=“ddr61” post=26011]

What you do in your back garden is your own business![/quote]

I did some digging…

The ATC can, and will, continue to use its clansman because it is effectively private property. The ACF are having their Clansman withdrawn as it is still MOD property and the service contract is finishing.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, how does it meet the Safe System of Training then?

I assume the manufacturer doesn’t support it any more, so how do you certify it as safe for Cadet use?

(I only ask as this would be useful for me to know!)

[quote=“Army Lurker” post=26168][quote=“ddr61” post=26143]
I did some digging…

The ATC can, and will, continue to use its clansman because it is effectively private property. The ACF are having their Clansman withdrawn as it is still MOD property and the service contract is finishing.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, how does it meet the Safe System of Training then?

I assume the manufacturer doesn’t support it any more, so how do you certify it as safe for Cadet use?

(I only ask as this would be useful for me to know!)[/quote]

Much as I hate to be the fun police, I would like to know as well. These radios and their associated charging units aren’t being serviced properly anymore (were they ever serviced if they are yours?), so how do you guarantee safety?

Portable Appliance Testing, same as the unit computers and kettle?

Who carries out your Portable Appliance Testing? I can PAT a computer or kettle, but they are different to the equipment we are talking about here. Checking that there are no wires hanging out the case isn’t the same as making sure it is serviceable.

Theoretically, the same people as yours? RFCA-engaged local testing company who do various checks using testing equipment. This ensures (within reason) that the equipment is electrically safe and the RAs help ensure it isn’t used stupidly or incorrectly.

But surely that would only satisfy one part of the “safe equipment” element?

I only ask as I recently raised this issue with my HQ and was informed that without a Manufacturer/HQ to publish safety updates there is an (albeit tiny) risk that should an electrical component become unsafe, there is no mechanism to inform the user. You’re effectively working in isolation and relying on someone unfamiliar with the specifics of the system testing a small part of the electrical component.

Compare and contrast with radio equipment procured by “the system” which comes with safety alerts/valid safety cases from the Cadet Signals HQ?