PR & Communications Courses?

Came across this tonight whilst browsing.

http://www.aircadets-wbw.org/news_487_smco.htm

Are courses like this still on offer to the ACO?

It would be of interest to me as I’ve more or less taken up the role of MCO at my sqn.

I don’t have access to bader at the moment, so any links posted won’t/can’t be seen.

Just looking for general info and if anyone here has been on it or anything similar?

Cheers

JR

Very rarely. Usually we latch onto the ACF courses.

As I currently do the role of MCO on our squadron, I was pointed towards This document on Sharepoint

As Op Nimrod said, it’s run by ACF and there’s a primary course to do first, before attending an in depth course relating to different areas of media comms.

If your Squadron won’t download and print it off for you, let me know and I’ll pm a copy. (Don’t want to post it here as it has dates and locations on)

Its something I’ve suggested to previous Wing MCOs and even the HQAC Social Media team! We’re seriously missing a trick when it comes to promoting our Squadrons. We have had some success in using the local media to show the good things we’re doing

IMHO a one-day Sqn MCO Course run at a Wing Level which covers the following

• Press Release Writing
  • Basic Photo Taking
  • Effective use of Social Media
  • Building a Sqn Website / Blog
  • The rules and regs regarding things like weapon photos etc

I mean you could even (with the right venue) get Sqns with no social media presence to set theirs up (properly) there and then!

Squadron’s are in general poor at Media Comms. A significant amount of Sqns on FB & Twitter use their open pages for Sqn Admin e.g “Tonight the uniform is No2s”. Well…#IcoudlntCareLess and you should #GetSomethingInterestingToSay. Sqns should use a closed group for mundane Sqn stuff. Open groups are for engagement with the outside world.

MCO courses would go some way to addressing this poor use of SM and MC. Although I’m shocked that HQAC haven’t issued a Social Media best practice guide. If they have then they aren’t all that good at Media Comms as nobody has seen it :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to hear from Barber on this??

I find a combination of good PR and up to date information about parade nights and courses works fine.

We’ve split that into two seperate Social Media Streams

External/PR Stream (for news stories / photos / engaging with other units)

• Facebook Page
  • Sqn Blog
  • Twitter Profile

Internal Information Stream

• Closed Facebook Group with limited access for staff/cadets/parents. We post details of courses/JIs/last minute changes to activities there.

• Facebook Page
  • Sqn Blog
  • Twitter Profile

• Closed Facebook Group with limited access for staff/cadets/parents. We post details of courses/JIs/last minute changes to activities there.[/quote]

Same for us. Works a treat (although we don’t really do the blog).

The thing I like about the Facebook page is that it goes into the individual users home feeds. I don’t think that is the same with groups?

Yeah it does! Plus you have the added benefit of being able to “tag” the individuals in the post!

OK brilliant, will bare this in mind for my new venture!

• Facebook Page
  • Sqn Blog
  • Twitter Profile

• Closed Facebook Group with limited access for staff/cadets/parents. We post details of courses/JIs/last minute changes to activities there.[/quote]

Same for us. Works a treat (although we don’t really do the blog).[/quote]

And the same for us, closed FB group for the mundane stuff, like next parade reminders and stuff like that, and a open FB page + twitter account for PR stuff.

Jonay1990 - A letter just came out from Wing / Region yesterday reagrding a course being held in April.

I had a look at the link you posted for Warwickshire & B’ham Wing … who in their right mind whould use a mop to clean a car :ohmy:

Haha hadn’t even spotted the mop, brilliant!

[quote=“abz” post=3832]Jonay1990 - A letter just came out from Wing / Region yesterday reagrding a course being held in April.

I had a look at the link you posted for Warwickshire & B’ham Wing … who in their right mind whould use a mop to clean a car :ohmy:[/quote]

Either someone’s watching me or it’s a pure coincidence.

I did get a copy of the email today - I’ll be going to it.

[quote=“the fixer” post=3766]Squadron’s are in general poor at Media Comms. A significant amount of Sqns on FB & Twitter use their open pages for Sqn Admin e.g “Tonight the uniform is No2s”. Well…#IcoudlntCareLess and you should #GetSomethingInterestingToSay. Sqns should use a closed group for mundane Sqn stuff. Open groups are for engagement with the outside world.

MCO courses would go some way to addressing this poor use of SM and MC. Although I’m shocked that HQAC haven’t issued a Social Media best practice guide. If they have then they aren’t all that good at Media Comms as nobody has seen it :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to hear from Barber on this??[/quote]

Hi Fixer,

Your comments have been noted. I’ll take them away and discuss.

Thanks,

Adam

Just to let you all know that I was on the regional course last weekend, and it was a very good course I must say.

Covered a lot of information:

[ul]
[li]Maintaining Corporate Image[/li]
[li]ACP 50[/li]
[li]Getting started with Media and Communications[/li]
[li]Acheiving results with press releases[/li]
[li]Public Relations Photography[/li]
[li]Presentation skills[/li]
[li]Guidance on Squadron Websites + Social media[/li]
[li]Inverviews and being interviewed[/li]
[li]Crisis Management[/li]
[/ul]

It covers all policies and restrictiions, what to say and not to say, a good prectial session on PR photography (of which we put to the test on the Sunday with SEScot Wing’s First Aid comp) and we were tasked with interviewing regional staff for the region website.

Great course, and I’d reccommend that if possible, that at least 1 staff memeber from each sqn tries to get on one. It’s make a lot of difference to recruiting etc.

Just to let you all know that I was on the regional course last weekend, and it was a very good course I must say.

Covered a lot of information:

[ul]
[li]Maintaining Corporate Image[/li]
[li]ACP 50[/li]
[li]Getting started with Media and Communications[/li]
[li]Acheiving results with press releases[/li]
[li]Public Relations Photography[/li]
[li]Presentation skills[/li]
[li]Guidance on Squadron Websites + Social media[/li]
[li]Inverviews and being interviewed[/li]
[li]Crisis Management[/li]
[/ul]

It covers all policies and restrictiions, what to say and not to say, a good prectial session on PR photography (of which we put to the test on the Sunday with SEScot Wing’s First Aid comp) and we were tasked with interviewing regional staff for the region website.

Great course, and I’d reccommend that if possible, that at least 1 staff memeber from each sqn tries to get on one. It’d make a lot of difference to recruiting etc.

Would people be interested in a monthly media comms newsletter?

It could be used to share examples of good practice, highlight current priorities, etc.

(I’m not volunteering to do it, mind, just gauging interest.)