Potential

Hi looking for some sound advice.

I am a CI doing an Adj role looking to go back into uniform. My Squadron has two brilliant SNCO’s and I have been told I will make a good Officer by them both. I have my SYP course soon but I would like to go into this course with a good idea of the route I would like to take. Any advice on how to make this decision. Thanks in advance.

I think a key question is what do you see as the main differences between the two roles?

Do you aspire to run & manage a squadron in the future? If so then you should look to commission, while you can do this as an SNCO, officers are preferred.

If you have an affinity for the admin and management side - and enjoy that, most importantly - then commission would be the most natural translation of that.

Giminion, thanks for your reply. I
enjoy the admin side and have strong organisation skills but I also enjoy the interaction with the cadets. Just don’t want to waste my time going for
a commission if it’s not achievable( the length of time is also so long) . Thanks for your reply it has helped.

You’ll only be chained to your desk if you let yourself be - it’s not an end to all interaction with cadets, where you morph into a cave-dwelling Smaug.

…especially when you consider that you’re already doing the job, so in the short term very little will change that would take you further away from the front line.

It is a long(er) process, but the rewards can be worth it (despite the salty views of the old and bold cantankerous crew on here!).

When asked this advice before, I have always said that if you aim is to Command, then go for a Commission! If you are happy to wait for that entertaining role, then go for an SNCO role. It also depends on the level of commitment you are willing to give to go into uniform!!

Before I get deluged in comments saying lots of Squadrons are commanded by SNCOs… I know, but they are not meant to!!

The other question about going into uniform, is what else is going on in your life, work and family come to mind.

Taking a commission shouldn’t change the interaction with the cadets, its down to you as to whether that happens. I can’t really add to the advice already given other than if you like drill and want to teach it then go SNCO, if command is something you are interested in then go for the commission.

You can always go for SNCO and then change later :-). I haven’t come across anyone that has gone from commission to SNCO.