Poppy Girls

Please help and support the Royal British Legion in it’s excellent work.

Please purchase a copy of the Poppy Girls single and help get it to Number 1 in the charts.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]WUlvdzf1FNc[/video]

You can buy it from iTunes or Amazon.

Many thanks,

DJ

Was I the only one who cried when Megan’s dad came down the stairs and she ran across to him?

My wife and I saw that and thought it was a no more than a publicity stunt.

Nice to see you have a heart GHE2. With my moderator hat firmly off, the amount of negativity you manage to find in every situation truly astounds me.

You are Ebeneezer Scrooge and I claim my £5.

You sicken me.

does it sicken the bloke who had to leave his own kids early in order to replace him?

does it sicken the ships company who find themselves sans a Lt Cdr?

i’m with GHE2 - its lovely, right until you actually think about the real world consequences of this mawkish, vommit-inducing tripe.

Have you two been drinking from the same pail?

does it sicken the bloke who had to leave his own kids early in order to replace him?

does it sicken the ships company who find themselves sans a Lt Cdr?

i’m with GHE2 - its lovely, right until you actually think about the real world consequences of this mawkish, vommit-inducing tripe.[/quote]

The Lt Cdr would be on a few days R&R back in UK, in fact he is half way through his tour; bet he’s already back on board. No one would have replaced him for the duration of the visit.

Saw them live on Saturday, well done to them all, a great cause.

GHE2 and Argus - of course, you would turn down money from RBL if you really need it just because the money came from an event where a young girl had the chance to see her father on national TV…

I make no apologies, as I said my wife and I both looked at each other and basically said the same thing. Neither of us were impressed by it.
I felt it was exploitative and I imagine he was flown especially there from his ship and back (no mean feat), just for a TV moment and a few hours.
If you put it into the perspective of wondering how many other servicemen and women are or would be given the opportunity to come off their deployment, just because their son or daughter are on a TV show, it was a stunt.
I would have accepted the unexpected skype or similar, wishing his daughter all the best.

On the other hand I was most impressed by the actions of the care home staff in the case of Harold Percival’s funeral. Something good through social media … amazing.

Rather dusty in the room I was at…

I have to say, it was one of the most moving Festivals of Remembrance for a very long time.

You have the audacity call that a stunt? You’re a disgrace. Poor bloke has missed all the rehearsals, all the adulation of his baby girl getting to a position where she is signing on national TV in front of Millions and HM the Queen (his boss) at one of the most important events in the military calendar and he was due to miss it.

It’s the LEAST the forces should have done, and if it jerked a tear or two - who cares?

dry your eyes princess.

it was a stunt. a mawkish, queezy, vommit-inducing stunt designed to get your knickers wet and lifting the phone. obviously hugely effective at so doing, but it was just a stunt.

Operation IRMA anyone…?

dry your eyes princess.

it was a stunt. a mawkish, queezy, vommit-inducing stunt designed to get your knickers wet and lifting the phone. obviously hugely effective at so doing, but it was just a stunt.

Operation IRMA anyone…?[/quote]

I forget we are not all hard nuts like yourself incapable of showing emotion. You must be a right laugh about the house. :whistle:

Of course it was a stunt, and one cleverly designed to attract attention of the masses. It might not have floated your boat, but it certainly resonated with quite a few of the viewers I imagine.

I’m so glad that some of our number are so generous to have donated their hearts, thus leaving them without one. Yes it was probably a stunt, at least no-one was injured and it made 2 people happy.

Angus and GHE2. Never been away on ops have you? If you had, you’d know that there is absolutely nothing like a homecoming from a tour, end or even R & R. OK, so what if it was staged? At least Joe Public now knows a bit of what it feels like when a military family gets back together.

It has nothing to do with showing or not showing emotion. I personally dislike the activities of TV and organisations in playing on people’s predicaments to achieve an end, regardless of what that end is. I’m a member of the RBL and have done many hours collecting and other fundraising and fully expect this song to bring in a few quid, to support the Legion’s work. Will I buy it, no, because it’s not my thing and no matter what they did to publicise it, would I buy it.

I don’t need to see mums, dads, sisters, brothers, comrades et al break down in an interview to know that they are upset by their loss, I’ve been there and thankfully not had a TV camera there, as they would be given precise instructions as to where they should locate it. I feel things like this are a step too far and when someone starts to break down they should turn the camera etc off. The event on Saturday should have been done backstage and kept totally private. But that would not have had the same effect.

[quote=“cygnus maximus” post=13213]Angus and GHE2. Never been away on ops have you? If you had…[quote]

err… lots actually.

many times i’ve covered for people - and been covered for - when things like serious illness, deaths and births have happened, not so much so someone could see their kids sing at a concert.

try harder next time.

Must admit I did like it and it was a bit of a tear jerker but saying that I did wonder if he was a Junior Rank would he of been there?? probably not…

if he’d been a sallow, mono-syballic, barely-gonged AGC L/Cpl on tour in Benbecula he’d have stood no chance whatsoever.

only jolly, broad-chested-with-a-foot-of-medals, well spoken blokes who’ve been doing daring deeds in far-flung exotic places need apply.

of course its nice - well, amazing - for the family involved, but its still a stunt, and a very carefully crafted stunt designed utterly to pull the maximum [strike]out of the wallet[/strike] heartstrings. it is certainly not the most deserving case, and so its a stunt, not much different to anything you might see on ‘i’m a celebrity…’.

err… lots actually.[/quote]

You surprise me, but I make no apologies for the comments I made, particularly in the light of your statement above.

It’s rare to find someone with such a bigoted, narrow minded, blinkered view of ranks and I’ve come across people with chips before, but you must getting towards the top of the size list.

You have my best wishes for your ACO career.