Pin the Medal on the Chest (Medal Placement and Identification)

I see this as being for similar situations as the Ebola medal, but bringing in one overarching medal rather than individual ones each time - essentially a GSM for humanitarian work. Would also cover going in to help after major flooding/earthquakes etc.

3 Likes

There was an unofficial Covid Cross made for NHS trusts to award to people. I’m still a little sore myself and others in the actual labs doing the qPCR tests didn’t get them :joy:

2 Likes

My squadron had a cadet (at the time) who ended up leading one of the testing sites close to us. She saw her duty, stepped up and delivered it at a young age when many others who didn’t need to shield hid away.

Her only real thanks was being fired when the subcontracted org downsized.

There are many people who were involved in the Covid response who definitely deserve recognition. I include those like yourself working in the lab, and those who stepped up to work front-line and put themselves at high risk for the sake of others, like my cadet did.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s either huge in which case a) what’s the point and b) how do we pay for it. Or it’s small in which case the RMT would go on strike.

Will be interesting to see if this gets fished out for things like Terror Attacks or Grenfell etc

1 Like

Busy weekend fir the MoDMO… New clasp for GSM as well.

No wonder the KCM had taken a back seat. :rofl:

Reading those criteria, RN will get lion’s share (they’re alway doing disaster relief somewhere - I believe it even forms part of their pre deployment testing), RAF will get very few as although helicopters & the Brize Norton pickfords do a lot they aren’t people facing….

Definitely a high bar for domestic incidents, although lots happen (floods, fires etc) not many require COBR leadership.

COVID response such as what I did with an org called RE:ACT would be the nearest I can think of.

Although I do note that unlike past gongs there won’t be any back dating, only from the point of Royal Assent forwards.

I had to look that up. I didn’t realise Team Rubicon had changed its name.

2 Likes

If anyone is feeling especially walty, can buy your own COVID medal…

Imagine rolling up somewhere with this.

It’s a bit like the BIM. (Bought It Myself).

1 Like

These companies really need putting out of business.

2 Likes

Will never understand the mentality of those that buy these things.

1 Like

I sort of can.
But it does make me feel really bad for especially the old boys who did national service, or served during the cold war and didn’t deploy or receive any recognition for their service.

It’s the companies who pedals it I take offense at.

2 Likes

Our trust created miniatures of the George Cross into a pin badge which is on my NHS lanyard. It was a nice touch.

2 Likes

As long as you didn’t have to buy it…

No we didn’t. It’s basically the George Cross but in pin badge form. I say our trust, but it was just the directorate I work in.

Potentially silly question but is anyone in the NHS eligible to wear the full size George Cross?

IIRC one of the top directors of the NHS went to an investiture to receive the medal. Would they wear the medal or not since it’s an organisational award?

1 Like

Similar rules to PSNI/Ulster Constabulary and Malta I guess.

Individually no. It’s an organisational honour similar to battle honors on a regimental standard.

4 Likes

That is fair - my Gramps has nothing to show for his National Service other than his demob card.

I suppose I was thinking more on the Walty ones for modern times - case in point: Cadet Forces Medal for Sale | Buy Commemorative Cadet 150 Medal

Techie is spot on with his answer.

Mind you even if I could, I don’t know if I would.