Pilot wings

Out of curiosity, a question for you guys, as the cadets wear various types of wings on their uniform to show their flying achievements and VGS staff wear the Instructor wings . Does this apply to uniformed squadron staff that have acheived PPL/CPL etc and is there such a thing? I couldn’t answer this when recently asked as I am a C.I

Uniformed CFAVs who have earned the staff Glider Pilot or Instructor wings can wear those brevets on their uniforms. No other courses are considered qualifications to wear wings in uniform.

It used to be the case that ex-service personnel who had qualified for military wings could wear those in uniform, though that no longer seems to be specified in our dress regulations!

Ex service personnel that move into the VRT can wear their previous service brevet be it pilot or Nav as can they wear the parachute brevet if earned.

Where is it written?

Where is it written?[/quote]

Chapter 4 of AP1358C gives instructions on the wearing of the parachute brevet (and the All Arms Commando Dagger). However the only reference I can find to flying brevets is to do with ATC Gliding in the same chapter.

Thanks guys for your replies

Sadly true, as I had a PPL before becoming a VR(T) I was a bit sad about it but it’s fair enough, as we follow the same rules as the regulars i.e. only ‘real’ pilots can wear wings.

I think it’s a shame as having a PPL does definitely make a difference to the quality of what I can offer cadets; but rules is rules…

In a similar vein of course staff can’t wear marksmanship badges either.
I can’t help but think that it might stand for well a cadet to know that the person coaching them on the range has achieved the same marksmanship standards that they’re aspiring to.
Of course, it might work the other way with cadets noticing how many ‘experts’ don’t have the badges :stuck_out_tongue:

I see what you mean but I’m not sure I’m ready to see staff covered in badges…!

And it’s not strictly necessary for an RCO to be able to shoot straight, only ensure others are safe while doing so.

[quote=“tmmorris” post=24946]I see what you mean but I’m not sure I’m ready to see staff covered in badges…!

And it’s not strictly necessary for an RCO to be able to shoot straight, only ensure others are safe while doing so.[/quote]
RCOs yes, but in the case of coaches it would really be handy if they actually know hot to shoot straight.

I’d quite like a first aid badge for staff. Clear to see who was just heartstart, Afa and faw or above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If holding a first aid qualification was compulsory for staff (which I personally think it should be), then it negates the need for any sort of badge,

Agree with gunner but my old wing would hold the course over a series of weekends which meant those of use who work weekends were left stranded. It was a case of be there or you can’t get the qualification.

So j stuck two fingers up to the wing first aid officer and told him to shove it.

Which it has been for a few months now.

^^^ what he said!

First aid is a mandatory skill now? That’s what we have been reading…

I believe Heartstart as a minimum covers the mandatory qualification for all CFAV.

All CFAV have to have HeartStart as a minimum from last September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“tmmorris” post=24936]Sadly true, as I had a PPL before becoming a VR(T) I was a bit sad about it but it’s fair enough, as we follow the same rules as the regulars i.e. only ‘real’ pilots can wear wings.

I think it’s a shame as having a PPL does definitely make a difference to the quality of what I can offer cadets; but rules is rules…[/quote]

Why does the wearing (or not wearing) of a badge stop you offering what you can to your cadets?