Permit 19 for vehicles other than minibuses

Hi All,

I have a question for you all that has been unanswered by the great and good. What vehicles need a Permit 19?
Minibuses over 3.5 tons yes
Minibuses under 3.5 tons?
Cars?
People carriers/ 7 seaters?
Land Rover Defender 7 seats?
9 seat minibus?

I have seen a email stream that states that all SOV needs a Permit 19 to operate

Anything over 8 passenger seats.

Since April 2009 you can get a Section 19 Permit that covers a vehicle with 8 or less seats.

Whether or not you need it (as its not a PCV) i am really unsure as i cant find the legislation on smaller vehicles.

In my mind i would think that it is a requirement for Permit 19 as even with a smaller vehicle we could effectively be providing a taxi service or a for profit transport service in the eyes of the law. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though as the legislation really doesnt go into that much detail (ill keep looking).

Quote:

What types of vehicle can be operated under a Section 19 Standard
Permit?
 Minibuses: Vehicles with a maximum capacity for between 9 and
16 passengers + the driver
 Smaller vehicles: with a maximum capacity for no more than 8
passengers + the driver, that are owned or hired by an
organisation. See Fact Sheet 11: Permits for small vehicles.
(Note that Permits are not for volunteers using their own cars).

I thought that also but it is not clear. The whole hire and reward thing may mean under 9 registering as s Private Hire Vehicle PHV. Essentially a taxi.

Try this

And reistering as a taxi, means two MoTs a year, taxi insurance and LA licencing.

The more people query all of this is giving the paper shufflers at HQAC something else to get over excited about, put some moronic crap in place. Like the new RA.
They managed to stifle activities enough as it is. Start to suggest we need something extra for private cars and that’ll be good night Vienna for the ATC.

1 Like