Pembrokeshire Paddleboard Incidents - MAIB Report

The report is worth a read for anyone involved in adventure training. Some common themes around qualification, knowledge, risk assessment, suitable equipment etc.

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/commerical-stand-up-paddleboarding-accident-on-river-weir-with-loss-of-4-lives

1 Like

Definitely some good learning - shame it took 4 deaths to reinforce it.

For anyone interested, the Weir risk assessment system is available here:

It does reinforce the need to understand and operate within your remit and be up to date on best practice - including the use of waist mounted quick release leashes and use of other equipment.

2 Likes

I always find the MAIB reports fascinating - often as you can see how easy it is for a mistake to occur.

I always use the ACF Rigid raider accident as an example to staff on why you need the safe system of training & how easy it is to get carried away & let things slip.

Hard to believe that was 15 years ago now.

I did think ankle leashes would have played a part here.

Just reading the report L, it talks about how unregulated it is & there is no national standard for training.

I can see an air cadet “pauses” coming on (or at least require full paddlesport instructors quals)

You do anyway for us, because we only use the BC system, not the SUP one.

1 Like

That’s not correct.

ACATI 029 also acknowledges the ASI, BSUPA and WSA qualifications for SUP (Although strangely it doesn’t include them in Qualifications Remit Table at Annex A).

To be fair I’ve never known someone using any of the other Qualifications, but I’m sure they are out there.

Yeah they are - I was first introduced to SUP in the organisation by a BSUPA instructor.

I can’t see there being a pause; there is no need. Our processes & policies are there to make sure the mistakes made in this incident don’t happen in the organisation.

The use of waist leashes has been mandated for ages in certain environments and the use of PFDs. Plus then our paperwork side which would ensure a risk assessment, contact details, medical declarations etc are carried.

It’s difficult to ensure people have appropriately risk assessed weirs using the system but that’s why it’s should be put out as a learning point (and the British Canoeing e-learning / webinar on including weirs in your leadership). Plus there are only certain qualifications allowed to use them anyway.

1 Like

The only person on the trip without a PFD was one of the instructors, I know lots of people don’t use them on SUP, but I would never do it, and I would never allow anyone to do it either.

I honestly can’t think of a single circumstance where an ankle leash is better than a QR belt, and i would also insist on them.

1 Like

Both leaders and two participants weren’t wearing a PFD. See Table 1 in the report; but I agree with you. Certainly in that situation I’d have made sure everyone was wearing one.

I too often SUP without one, but only in environments where the consequence of a swim is low. But I have experience to make those decisions - I suspect some of the participants did not.

1 Like

I misread it, and that’s even worse.

It’s just a bad practice, the leader should be the person who definitely has one when with a group, as it prevents you becoming a casualty when you’re meant to be one responsible. Like when I see parents making their kids wear them and they don’t on hire canoes. What good are you to your child floating down stream if you’re the one drowning?

It was interesting to me that although 4 weren’t wearing PFD’s only 1 of those was a casualty.

1 Like

The first got the line right and never ended up in the towback, same for the second I believe. Those two lacked PFDs.

The instructor who died did so after diving in to help, without a PFD. Kudos to his courage, but without a BA in that he wasn’t going to be able to do much.

Indeed he would’ve been more use staying on the bank with a throw line reading the report.

The real hero is the person who threw the life ring repeatedly, that’s knackering work and must have been soil destroying.

3 Likes

I do wonder if, even using quick release leashes, whether they would have made any difference. Unless you’ve done a WWSR course you’ve probably never tried to release one under load whilst being dragged under the water. If the first time you are doing it is being recirculated in a weir I struggle to see how you would succeed.

1 Like

Infinitely more hope than you ever have with an ankle leash:

1 Like

It’s also not even just about the release, it’s where the tug from the leash is pulling you, if your leg is being pulled to the surface, your head is being pulled down, at least if the leash is connected to your waist your legs are free to try and kick.

1 Like

unfortunately my wife and I only see SUP without BA, we can’t understand it