Paying subs

Hi all,

I am a CWO who has recently transferred units to help that sqn as they really needed it. One staff member is saying about me paying subs however others disagree as I am doing more work than many of the staff who don’t pay subs. On top of this, I am paying to drive the way further distance to my new sqn.

What are your opinions?

Welcome to the forum!

That you shouldn’t be paying subs. Simple.

Sadly the way Squadrons pay to Wing and up the chain is based on number of cadets on the books, staff cadets included. As far as I see it, Staff Cadets shouldn’t be counted in those numbers, and shouldn’t be paying subs. They are often attending in a staff capacity 90% of the time.

7 Likes

I advocate to anyone that’ll listen that we shouldn’t charge staff-cadets subs. :person_shrugging:
Noone of position has changed things yet.

1 Like

This is probably a good one for VoP…

2 Likes

At a Sqn level, we could reduce subs for staff cadets to the amount that’s paid to Wing and HQAC. That would be a reasonable and immediate measure.

A similar argument could be made for many good FSs who aren’t staff cadets too.

2 Likes

We halve Subs for our Staff Cadets, they still get access to great opportunities by virtue of being a member.

Equally I wouldn’t object to them not paying at all but the committee just covering the upward charge.

5 Likes

Something i might mention to the sqn OC

Good Morning,

Don’t forget the Squadron itself might need the funds - if it’s struggling with staff and other things then potentially it’s also struggling with Civilian Committee and fundraising.

Subs aren’t just there for the sake of it, there is a purpose to them.

And although staff don’t pay subs, don’t be too surprised to find a lot of staff have paid out of pocket (no we shouldn’t, and committee’s should be refunding but sometimes when a squadrons not doing too well if it’s deemed not worth the hassle by staff they just do) to help keep the Squadron ticking over.

Absolutely agree it’s down to Squadron discretion because they’ll be doing very different things on different Squadron and age shouldn’t be a deciding factor on whether someone pays subs or not on a Squadron.