Passport Application

First off, I’m not sure which category this should go in… feel free to move!

Anyway.

Can OC Sqn/Sgt (ATC) etc countersign my passport application form?

Yes if they have known you for the requisite length of time.

1 Like

Plt_Off_Prune, I would suggest your advice may be incorrect.

See https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications/accepted-occupations-for-countersignatories

The list does include “officer of the armed services”…but in case we might imagine that this includes Warrant Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers, clearly it does not…because further down the list of countersignatories is the specific category of “Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers”.

So by strict interpretation, FS(ATC) and Sgt(ATC) may NOT countersign the forms (if such appointed status is their only cited qualification).

Also, by even stricter interpretation, RAFAC Officers (ie former VRT) will be ineligible to to do this after 1 Oct, unless a CFC commissioned officer is considered to be directly-equivalent to “an officer of the armed services” (which, legally-speaking, is not the case…if it were, the whole transition wouldn’t be happening…nb I think it would still be an acceptable person, but my point is valid)

So our WOs will definitely be busy… !-)

Also: note that whoever countersigns MUST have a current/valid passport themselves. Even if they’re an ACM (and yes…the Passport Office can and do check these things).

Cheers, I’ll get it done before the commission change. Very helpful, thanks! :slight_smile:

He was asking now, not in months time - but I missed the NCO comment in his reply to be fair.

I think that you may be reading too much in to that - remember that it states a person of good standing in the community and then goes on to list examples, rather than an exhaustive list.

4 Likes

I take your point- however, if the list gives specific examples, and choses not to say (for example) “all military personnel at or above the rank of Corporal”, what message are they actually trying to convey?

I do know of an instance a few years back where a graduate classroom teaching assistant was used as a passport counter-signatory (a person who was inarguably someone of good standing in a number of communities, and reasonable life experience) and yet the application was returned, citing “not a teacher”.

In practice, people do tend to seek-out counter-signatories that are members of the exact vocational groups that are listed as ‘examples’.

Putting commissioned officer will get a passport through no matter what the formation is.

According to the FOI linked above this will still be a military commission (i.e. Not a civilian one) but where the holder is not subject to military law.

Assume the same applies to e.g. firearms certificates? (signed a few of those for cadets as they turn 18)

That would largely depend on the police area

That is how it has always been anyway, so no change.