Participation In Cadet Survey

So had an email saying all cadets aged 16+ have been sent a survey asking about their time and experiences in the organisation, as part of an overall review of activities and ACTO 11.

OC wings and Sqns will get one soon too.

Anyone know what the questions of the cadet version are? And the purpose?

Yep, survey for OC Wing and survey for Sqn OCā€™s.
Canā€™t see one for cadets yet.

Could be linked to the discussion on ā€œValuing our Volunteersā€ - CFAV Attitudes

Some examples my NCO team have shared with me.

Uploading: 8C686E42-D4C4-4C82-A9AD-2B3714319115.jpegā€¦

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Communicating With Cadets

Thatā€™s one for a new thread. This is about the survey please.

Like all Air Cadet surveys; stilted towards a response, giving a false report.
Where in the survey is the ā€œnot really interestedā€ option. This is valid as a response. It enables a better idea at what the cadets enjoy. Iā€™ve set up questionnaires at work used as part of studies we do and we always include a negative, as it gives us a better idea for improvements.
Throughout my time in the Air Cadets there have been many who have not been interested one little bit in some things.
If Iā€™d got a question say on Cross Country, I loathed it at school and I never did it as a cadet and nothing would make me do it for that exact reason. So Iā€™d have to leave that question unanswered, which means nothing. There are a lot of cadets not interested in some of the things we do. Iā€™ve found out there are several cadets who play badminton at school, but no interest in anything else ā€˜organisedā€™ sport wise. Iā€™ve got cadets who donā€™t like and wonā€™t go camping and I know several adults who donā€™t like it either.

2 Likes

This survey does seem a bit flawed. Hit/miss/maybe questions are okay for feedback. The ā€œnot taking part inā€ response is telling but only when linked to another factor - ā€œwhyā€ have they not taken part?

The cadet may not want to - which is quite different to not having the opportunity to take part.

The absence of narrative also means some of the context will be lost in favour of a bland ā€œit was okayā€ response.

But bless them for trying!

2 Likes

You need comments to give it context, but this requires a detailed analysis and Iā€™m not sure this is what this is about.
Without the ā€œdonā€™t want to / not interestedā€ option, given these will give a not taken part means being told weā€™re not giving cadets opportunities.
It seems to imply that everyone who joins wants to do everything on offer.

The OC survey is quite poor, I appreciate that question only enables them to grab a snapshot but context is everything

Given the surveys weā€™ve done and the lack of any action, if itā€™s not the expected results, (which stems from DYER) is there any point, having seen the poor question setting for the cadet one.

Why canā€™t we have an all adult staff survey, rather than just OCs.

1 Like

Iā€™d agree with that - thereā€™s a ā€œhave not yet taken partā€ field, but no way of the survey collators knowing whether thatā€™s through interest or opportunity.

Given that itā€™s supposed to be an overall view of activities, at the very worst case we could end up with activities that people arenā€™t doing (through unavailability) curtailed as they think itā€™s a lack of interest, or activities that people donā€™t want to do pushed because HQAC think that thereā€™s not enough availability.

Thatā€™s my fear.
Iā€™m with a unit of ~60, of them, about 7 like and are interested in air recce. Because 90% of the squadron arenā€™t interested in it, does that mean we shouldnā€™t bother anymore?

Not necessarily - if you can offer it to those cadets without unduly impacting on more popular activities then crack on.

But if itā€™s down to a straight choice between something that 50% are going to want to do or 15%, then a fairly easy choice.

I assume thatā€™s what the OC survey is due to ā€œcounteractā€ my Cadets wil be aksed have yo been Gliding did you like it and Iā€™m asked have your Cadets been and should we have more less or none.

Another iffy survey? Surely not?..

Nobody learned from the 18+ cadet survey then, where they asked the cadets whether they thought they should leave at 18 or stay on until 20, but gave them no explanation that ā€œleavingā€ at 18 would allow them to become staff and stay on in that roleā€¦

Good work team!

In order for a cadet survey to have any worth you need to do one, every couple of years, given that cadets change and their likes and dislikes change.
The 18+ one ignored this and unless you do these every couple of years policy is flawed, but you could never make policy etc as the goalposts move all the time.
Best thing, donā€™t bother unless you get a full picture and this survey wonā€™t give that.

back in my days as a Cadet, my CWO had done most things, but had only been flying once, didnā€™t enjoy it and never tried it again!

3 Likes

I did the same with Gliding, went up in a Vigilant once and refused to step near one again. I had an argument with the pilot that unless you turn off the engine, its only a Tutor flight with big wings and no aerobatics.

[off topic]
it is hard to argue against - a typical GIC saw us fly around for ~20 minutes demonstrating the ā€œeffect of the controlsā€ which was remarkably similar to my first experience in a Tutor.

I remember being briefed that the Vigilant engine could be switched off, and the big black handled was used to feather the prop but in all my years yet to hear of anyone who actually did switch of the engine to ā€œglide in angerā€

[/off topic]

I switched the engine off in my GS but I was anyway solo on civvy gliders so didnā€™t know if it was part of the GS or not