Parade Shoes: Help!

Hey all,

I’ve had these shoes for a while now and they’re beginning to show signs of wear. Any advice to deal with this?

Thanks,
MG

Get new shoes. They look like they’d need professional work to fix where the toe has come away from the sole. About £15 at your nearest surplus shop

1 Like

Unless, like me, you have to buy special wide parade shoes. :kissing:

Which is why they make issue parade shoes in wide sizes as well as standard…

Did not know that. Did not know that…

On issue shoes there is a letter after the size number - either M or W. Medium or wide.

I have a 9L as im big boned…was going to mention your welts need cleaning but that wouldnt be helpful! But yeah get some new issue shoes

1 Like

That looks like a reflection to me, not damage to the shoe. As for the polish coming off, just put more on.

Where’s the best place to get issue shoes from?

A surplus shop. Like I said. Usually great condition for about £15, I paid £12 for mine and they were already polished

seconded - the circled areas are flaking polish - put more on!

doesn’t look to be anything wrong with those shoes - i am still wearing mine 18 years on

Looks like you’ve got a choice if you don’t want to fork out for new shoes (and I wouldn’t).

Either cream on loads of polish in those areas, wait a couple hours for it to dry and then start blending that part with the rest of the toecap.

OR

Hairdryer to your toecaps, wet cloth and get rid of all the polish on there, then start again.

in my opinion

No no no no no no! to the above

firstly layer up the polish with thin layers. you can’t expect a smooth finish by lumping on more than you need. thin layers are key.
secondly no need to start over, but if you do, dont get a hairdryer out. i will soften the polish and get messy. far better it is hard and flaky and easily handled. get the back of a knife blade if you need to remove polish

Both have worked for me in the past!

I recommend the hairdryer as although it may get messy, isn’t there a risk of gouging your shoes with the back of a knife? (minimal risk but still there).

1 Like

the wrong method in that case.

not the sharp blade that is what will catch and cut the leather.
scrape away with a sharp blade or the back of a straight edge point away from the direction of travel

Your shoes are pretty worn so if you want to get new ones then go for it, however there isn’t anything in particular wrong with the shoe apart from the circled areas are just where the polish has cracked, you’d just have to strip the shoe and start again for best results… also the welts need some cleaning.

1 Like

Just looks like an excess of polish and general wear. Strip them back and start again.

2 Likes

Or pop them out in the sun - everyone’s toecaps melted after the D&C parade haha

1 Like

As best can be seen for the photo - old, flaky polish. Building up on a dodgy foundation will be a pointless exercise.

Strip it off & start again. Do not strip off with a sharp item, you will risk damaging the leather. I used to use a candle to warm up an old spoon & use the back of it to melt off old polish. Caution required!

1 Like

I used a candle to warm up an old spoon

:eyes: