Parachute course?

I can ask

The aircraft they were using is registered to Netheravon’s civvy club.

So not this weekend at least! (Re: The APA is grounded during the investigation)

(I don’t know why I didn’t just check the reg of the a/c myself)

1 Like

So now London wing are running a parachuting course out of Netheravon. Did anyone get to confirm previously what the deal is now?

Nope.

It’s already earmarked for my precious suggestion of,

‘Mitigate and deteriorate’

Got an SMS link?

Sadly not, just seen posts of them taking part on SM. It was on 282 Sqns Instagram story!

As an update on this, it was confirmed the other night at the national AT panel that currently courses should not be running at civilian centres (e.g. the APA) unless they have been assured by 22 Gp. There is work going on in the background to progress this.

2 Likes

Have just had a similar email from our TSA.

The TLDR is there is currently no way to do parachuting as no where is approved/assured. Also he noted that the courses that have been going on since the return to F2F have been done against policy. Albeit though no malice, just a misunderstanding at all levels.

Then how did they get approved? Are there that many levels of people who all misunderstand the current regs?

Doesn’t that suggest the current regs are balls?

4 Likes

Or is it people approving things who are not SMEs in that area? Were these courses directly approved by RC/ARC who have little clue about the AT approvals or the fact that the AT JSP had removed us? I know of three squadrons who have done parachuting, as mentioned further up in this thread. These courses were surely approved at region level. My biggest surprise personally is that the APA is not 22 GRP assured already, as I thought it was.

2 Likes

If they’re not SMEs they shouldn’t be anywhere near an approval process.

2 Likes

I agree, but I know on the initial return to F2F when everything had to go before the RC there were some weird approvals going on. I’d be intrigued to see the SMS applications for these events :stuck_out_tongue:

Aaaaand someone replied-all. And of all people, someone on an it.wing account :rofl:

1 Like

Always amazes me that people don’t avoid this common occurrence by putting the distribution groups in the BCC box and then include a list of recipients in the email text. Simple solution & avoids clogging email servers when people accidentally do this.

2 Likes

There are precisely zero SMEs in the organisation, which is why this has all come about.

I only happen to know the difference between JSPC(N) and the APA because Netheravon used to be my home DZ.

I’d suggest it’s easily done if you haven’t been a skydiver in the past. APA & JSPC(N) share the same location and facilities. The difference is the former is a civilian club that operates not exclusively under the military systems and JSP419 but follows British Skydiving rules.

I used to jump in Spain under the USPA regulations, the Brits all assumed BPA stood for “Ban Parachuting Association” as they had a 2FTS attitude towards the Sport.

2 Likes

I wish I had the money and the time to still be doing it as a hobby. We spend a lot of time in Spain on holiday so I feel like I could take great advantage of this fact :smiley:

In which case my second point is relevant; if the regs are that easily misunderstood, then they’re crap regs.

2 Likes