Painting sqns

This is what I want avoid.

I have had no reason for the email saying we cant.

I can only imagine, someone somewhere must have done such a bad job they wont allow it anymore OR it’s some covid nonsense.

I’d challenge that bill on the basis that they needed to repaint it anyway before my paint job

True story, a year or so ago, a Sqn up norff had their Sqn painted by contractors who had done a couple of Sqn’s. The paint started peeling off in the warm weather and was even worse when they had to turn the heating on :flushed: They were not given any further jobs to paint another Sqn…

You need permission to change internal door handles to more sturdy “less chance of bending and breaking” ones :grimacing: I will keep that in mind should we break our more sturdy and less chance of bending ones…

Yep, you generally need permission to do literally anything. Even menial tasks of dead light bulbs should ‘technically’ be done via a works order or self help application. Obviously those things are often overlooked.

RE Your door handles, if you changed them a while ago (over a year?) and no one has noticed, I’m pretty sure you could claim they’ve always been that way if anyone does eventually notice… Until they look through your civ-com recipts and see door handles on the list :wink:

Yes.
There are self help forms.
You need to complete some H&S forms, which I had a CI who is a contractor complete!
We found out the specific colours we would be required to use- they even mandated the brand of paint to use.
We adhered to everything. Staff and Staff cadets completed the painting.
SERFCA inspected the work and approved it. Even said we had done a good jobs
Then we held a grand re-opening with the Mayor. https://www.cadetdirect.com/blog/air-cadets-new-hq-completed/

Sharepoint link please.

Don’t think you’ll find it on SharePoint since it’s an RFCA form rather than an Air Cadet form.

Thames Valley Wing have this uploaded. Form 5401

1 Like

Our RFCA works officer used to be quite open to it but then got stung big time so is now very reluctant to let us repaint or any form of self help. She is slowly warming to the idea of letting us do minor self help but it’s a long journey and requiring a lot of conversations to build confidence including with the RFCA management in general including the CAA.

All I can suggest is keep chipping away & try & build their confidence. Just make sure you jump through every hoop you can. Perhaps ask to repaint a small area first for them to inspect and maybe even reassure them the unit has the fund to professionally repaint if it is cocked up.

It’s a sad state of affairs this.

We are talking about simple decorating… not exactly brain surgery!

I’m concinced RFCA just want the buildings to fall apart.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if the Civ Comm decided to not pay such a bill? It is charitable money after all…
Do they take the squadron to court? Does the RAFAC dismiss volunteers and bring in a new bunch who would be willing to pay?

Yes they could, ifs a shared building the ATC units are often classed as “lodger” units so if could well be fix it or be evicted although the volunteers should be safe as they can’t authorise the spending of funds. Civcom would probably be dissolved & reformed.

If It’s an ATC stand-alone probably the same bar as not returning a form 60 namely a ban on non-parade night & off Sqn activities until balance resolved. I imagine if a Sqn withheld Wing Subs then it would be something similar Although I have never heard of a Sqn refusing to pay.

Could they take the CivCom to court though?
The CivCom is not the Squadron. They’re an independent charity whose sole beneficiary is the Sqn.
They’re not responsible for the actions of the Sqn staff.

I would think that any action would be against the individuals who did the painting, and possibly the OC too if they were otherwise not involved in the painting effort.

Except the Civ Com pays the bills, so in any such scenario the CivCom must’ve funded it.

Unless they already had the paint for other purposes or it was “acquired”

Yes, but although they may have funded the cost of the paint they aren’t the ones who did the work.
In effect they as a charity donated a sum of money to their beneficiary and the Sqn staff then used that money to buy paint and carry out the work.

Let’s say that the Rotary club made a donation to the Sqn and the staff used that money to buy the paint. Would the RFCA be taking Rotary International to court?

What if it was the CivCom who did the painting?

Realistically as long you paint it the colour it was no one will notice.

In that case I suppose I’d still wonder whether action would be against the charity or against the individual.

Normally I’d agree… But I’ve also heard some stories not unlike the one above about RFCA persons who have indeed noticed the colour, whilst similar, wasn’t ‘exactly’ right and have kicked up a fuss about it.
It’s a mixed bag minefield.

Not the same for us though! Our RFCA employ at least one dodgy contractor who came in and painted half the wall a different colour blue. We had to fight back to get them to send an actual professional in to fix it!

Unless they clock the high quality finish and excellent workmanship of course.

12 Likes

Just deny everything!

2 Likes

This strategy has stood me in good stead for many years!