Out of Control CWO

Ok so my wing field weekend is coming up next weekend and the training for it has been shocking (only really started a month ago) and its been on the training program as leadership tasks, bletchly park, air recce, etc… however there isnt anything actually planned and put into place and I as a Cdt FS, with a CWO above me, i have had to organize on the night what we have been doing while the CWO has been absent, not bothered or in the staff room.
So after all this and as the only FS on the sqdn i was expecting to be 2IC for WFW but no, im not even 3 or 4IC. The people in the IC positions are the 2 least senior Sgts and the Cpl whos going out with the CWO…
Another thing about the CWO is one minute he can be happy as anything and then someone will say something that only slightly wrong, taking banter a bit too far, and suddenly he turns into the most [b][color=#ff0000]ANNOYED[/color][/]B] person ever and takes it out on all of the cadets which just destroys the moral.

Any advice on what to do in this situation would be most appreciated.

Bum his head clean off.

To be fair, I am not one to be tactful about the politics of situations, I am more like a bull in a china shop. If something needs changing or doing then I tend to just jump both feet in.

However, your first port of call is the Chain of command thats what its there for. Chat about your concerns with staff and see what they suggest. If they could have a word with him.

If you dont want to speak to him that is.

What I am interested in is, isnt a CWO supposed to be over 18 and classed as a staff cadet? And as such has a duty of care over the under 18 cadets…and shouldnt technically be “involved” shall we say?

1 Like

Tricky - Go and speak to your chain of command, be specific about your concerns when you speak to them.
You have me wondering who your CWO is now…

[quote=“Tricky” post=19059]Ok so my wing field weekend is coming up next weekend and the training for it has been shocking (only really started a month ago) and its been on the training program as leadership tasks, bletchly park, air recce, etc… however there isnt anything actually planned and put into place and I as a Cdt FS, with a CWO above me, i have had to organize on the night what we have been doing while the CWO has been absent, not bothered or in the staff room.
So after all this and as the only FS on the sqdn i was expecting to be 2IC for WFW but no, im not even 3 or 4IC. The people in the IC positions are the 2 least senior Sgts and the Cpl whos going out with the CWO…
Another thing about the CWO is one minute he can be happy as anything and then someone will say something that only slightly wrong, taking banter a bit too far, and suddenly he turns into the most pissed of person ever and takes it out on all of the cadets which just destroys the moral.

Any advice on what to do in this situation would be most appreciated.[/quote]

Hangar, rear of, one-way debrief.

Job done.

[quote=“papa november” post=19061]Tricky - Go and speak to your chain of command, be specific about your concerns when you speak to them.
You have me wondering who your CWO is now…[/quote]

You know any CWOs that like Jimmy Saville, might narrow the search a bit…?

RAS - Obtuse as ever…

Well sir, you are an acute.

Whats geometry got to do with the price of 3.14?

Thank you for your replies but i was hoping for something a little more low key and less bull in a china shop.
Another problem is hes been a CWO for over a year now and before that he was a FS for a good 2 years and has been pretty much top of the squadron for 3-4 years now so all the staff are used to “his way” and dont want to question it. And when a Cpl did go to a staff member about an issue with him, he got very [color=#ff0000]ANGRY[/color] off and [color=#ff0000]TOLD OFF[/color] all the NCOs for going behind his back.

As for who he is i’d rather keep that private but he turns 20 in about 4 months and hes been going out with the Cpl for about a year and shes only just turned 16, make of that what you will.

He sounds like an absolute toilet.

There are others on here with much better knowledge of the ACO that could help other ways. But I still stand by going up your chain of command, maybe take a note of whats making you and the other NCO/cadets unhappy.
Going straight to your CO with your concerns?
This is a prime example of why cadets need to hit a time/age and just go and branch out. Bloody powertrips.

I would like someone to give me some information on the situation with the under 18 cadet?

I think it’s discouraged, but doesn’t break any laws and doesn’t even really break the rules of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tricky - go talk to your Adjt :wink: There are people who turn into good CWOs, and there are those who go on a power trip. If the individual thinks they are so good, lets wait and see what happens next weekend… I understand your pain but as you say the individual ages out over the summer and will no doubt move if they want to stay in the Corps.

Papa November - I think I know the unit and the person being mentioned…

[quote=“juliet mike” post=19074]I think it’s discouraged, but doesn’t break any laws and doesn’t even really break the rules of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

So…a staff cadet, over the age of 18, has duty of care, a position of power, is staff when they want, a cadet when they want… its ok to potentially engage in a relationship.
I am in NO WAY making allegations. Just trying to get my head round the rules and regulations.

Could a staff member be involved with a staff cadet? After all they are over the age of 18?

Get rid of that godawful rank.

Edited for being an idiot.

Are you suggesting the Cpl is under 13?

ACO staff are not (legally) in a “position of trust” so the normal laws regarding relationships apply (ie 16 good, 15 bad)
Our club has rules which seeks to apply limits but those are not questions of law.

Thinks aren’t always simple though - even if we stopped cadet service at 18 there could still be situations where a member of staff is married to a cadet…

I was in the middle of editing… I wasnt sure on my definition of the term. Brushed up on a bit of law and turns out I was wrong!

He is a staff cadet, staff being the key word.

And the cadet in question has just turned 16.
Legally you may not be in a position of trust but come on its still a duty of care and a position of rank/power/trust in a way.

And again the Cdt in question only just turned 16, IIRC under English law marriage under 18 must hace parental consent? So marriage could be classed as a completely different situation that could have its own rules.

You raise questions to which you deserve answers.
If your performance is in some way lacking then a Staff member should tell you and provide a route to improve.
The relationship is something that certainly should be kept an eye on, and if it is leading to favouritism then that definitely needs to be addressed.

If there is some reason that you feel unable to take this up with your Sqn Staff, then I think you would be justified in taking this up with your WSO.

MW

chat with CO about creepy CWO, then discretely [color=#ff0044]TELL OFF[/color] CO for blabbing to the nonce with ‘Cpl X got a load of stick off CWO Glitter, i think he’s got it in for him/her’. a single raised eyebrow while mentioning this faux pas will work wonders…

if it doesn’t work, go to WSO and while making your point about the bullying nature of CWO Saville and the lack of support you’ve got from your Sqn staff, mention the err… unsavoury nature of his relationships with younger, female cadets, WSO will just want it to go away so he’ll have a word with your CO that says ‘make this disappear…’

my Mrs is a teacher, she finds the only way to get a Social Workers full and undivided attention is to mention the words ‘serious case review’… its a bit unfair for those who haven’t thought of it, but it doesn’t half get results.

A polite reminder to not swear on the forums.

[quote=“romeo bravo” post=19077]Tricky - go talk to your Adjt :wink: There are people who turn into good CWOs, and there are those who go on a power trip. If the individual thinks they are so good, lets wait and see what happens next weekend… I understand your pain but as you say the individual ages out over the summer and will no doubt move if they want to stay in the Corps.

Papa November - I think I know the unit and the person being mentioned…[/quote]

After seeing the later post, I think that I know who the miscreant is too…

As for the situation of doing all the work and then getting side-lined … that’s life. This won’t the first or last time it happens. Just be more careful about what you say you’re going to do. If they do well just revel in the fact you did that.

As for the age of girlfriend, not a lot you can do in reality, except report it to the Police, I wouldn’t bother with the ACO chain. But as the girl is over 16 and if she is deemed competent and parents aren’t overly fussed, bit of a dead end even in this day and age. TBH if at 19 he’s having to take up with 15/16 year old, can’t have much going for him outside the ATC. Speaking as a parent whose daughters when under 16 had boyfriends over 18, you have to wait until the fascination wears off on either side and then deal with the tears. I bet you’d find she’s more fascinated by the been there done it CWO strutting around, than he is with her and probably views her as a bit of a trophy. If he crosses into staff, then it will be a different set of rules asthe over 18 cadet is a bit blurred, if he leaves not much to be done.

Another reason to can the over 18 cadet. If we’re all staff at 18, no confusion … the same rules apply, plus it wll get rid of the CWO badge, as that’s all it’s been for the last 11 years, a badge to complete the collection. A bit like Pokemon, FIFA World Cup etc cards.

Locked by request of the OP