OS Getmapping vs Mapyx

We’ve currently got Mapyx, and looking to update, but I’ve seen this and for a £100 pa you can get 30 user licence, which gives you 1:25000 as well. It seems you can only print A4 maps as with Mapyx (unless you want to pay extra on the latter) so that’s not much of a difference in that respect.
I’ve had look at it, but as you can’t get full functionality unless to cough dosh I can’t really get a proper idea about the sort of functionality I’ve had with Mapyx. Does GM give you bearings, leg and total distance etc?
Anyone used Getmapping and if so pros and cons please.

Getamap has recently been re-developed and turned into OS Maps.

It’s £18 for an annual subscription and I really like it so far.

£18 a year gets you access to 1:25k and 1:50k maps of the entire UK (exc. NI). You can draw and share routes, and import and export them as a universal GPX file (so it’s compatible with Quo and Multimap and similar). You can also print to A4 and A3 and the interface to do this is very intuitive, unlike Mapyx.

It’s quite a basic product but the two additional features it has are the only two useful features of most mapping software: Generating route cards and generating altitude profile graphs of the route.

It’s also available on your phone or tablet (data connection required unless you buy the paper map and enter the code).

I strongly recommend you give it a go. There’s a monthly version available for a lower fee, but I think it’s well worth the £18.

Why not use EDofE? It’s free and has updated OS Maps, you can print at 1:25k and 1:50k. You can download and upload GPX files of routes etc.

The individual doing the work needs a eDofE login, and it will only work if you are running Win 7 or below; doesn’t work on Win 8 or 10.

I never even knew the feature existed, and I’ve used eDofE a fair amount. I’ll definitely have a look.

Is this true given the recent updates that they did to the system?

I never even knew the feature existed, and I’ve used eDofE a fair amount. I’ll definitely have a look.[/quote]

It’s on the left hand side, under resources - mapping.

The individual doing the work needs a eDofE login, and it will only work if you are running Win 7 or below; doesn’t work on Win 8 or 10.[/quote]

It shouldn’t matter about the operating software, as it’s all ran through internet explorer or chrome i believe. But someone else who’s more computer wise may correct me.

Is this true given the recent updates that they did to the system?[/quote]

Well that’s what the eDofE website says -

eDofE Mapping will work on Windows XP,Vista and 7 and through IE6, 7, 8 and 9. Please note that eDofE Mapping will not work on Windows 8 modern view or “IE10/11” as these do not support Silverlight which Microsoft has now stopped developing; advice on changing between versions of Internet Explorer can be found on the FAQs on our website.In case of delays in re-accessing your map, we continue to recommend that you save a copy of your maps to your computer as a mapping(GPX) file for a back-up which can be uploaded into a new eDofE Mapping file if needed.

[quote=“romeo bravo” post=26280]
Well that’s what the eDofE website says - [/quote]

Sigghh. . . . You’d have thought given that they acknowledge that it’s no longer supported, that they would develop a new solution.

[quote=“mprentice1” post=26284][quote=“romeo bravo” post=26280]
Well that’s what the eDofE website says - [/quote]

Sigghh. . . . You’d have thought given that they acknowledge that it’s no longer supported, that they would develop a new solution.[/quote]

Does this mean I have finally found something the knackered computers on my unit are good for?

Unfortunately as eDofE Mapping relies on Silverlight to work which, after having done a little research, is actually still supported in Windows 10 . . . just isn’t supported by Microsoft’s new Edge browser.
Seems as if there is no reason that you couldn’t run Mapping on Win10, with silverlight installed, on Chrome with NPAPI enabled.