Originally-proposed changes to RAFAC Wings / Flying badges : did this ever happen?

He means the Regiment mudguards.

But my IOT had at least one gunner going in as Pilot.

There are a few cadets that have the Reserve Pilot (Glider) Badge, if they go on to be uniformed CFAVs they keep the badge even if they aren’t in a flying role. If they join the regulars the badge is taken away; so there’s precedent for RAFAC to have its own flying badges for CFAV. What HQ doesn’t want is to accept that civvie flying clubs can provide an alternative flying experience and to be seen to be promoting that to cadets.

3 Likes

They a CS C2 as well…
Blow me down!

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Only if they’re a B1 or above do they keep it if no longer in a flying role and join as a CFAV.

B1s plus can wear thier glider wings if they’re regular service personnel unless its superceded by something higher. Just none of the Air Trafficers and Ops fellas want to

Can we all agree that the first Walter Mitty staff member that stitches their cadet wings into their No.1s should be thrown in the sea?

2 Likes

That’s weird one as I know someone who was told they weren’t to wear them when they started MIOT :woman_shrugging:

IOT is usually different, very few - if any - qual badges are allowed except for on your No1s.

Unless you’re this guy…

What is that red thing on his left shoulder sleeve?

Commando badge.

Basically a dont pick a fight you will lose badge

Thats what i thought it was.
But none of the write up mentioned the all arms course or having served in that capacity.

Anyone understand the reason to wear it.
Am curiously interested as he has certainly had a varied career. Good on him.

1 Like

That post suggests he’s graduated, so IOT microcosm rules no longer apply. Plus, he’s in his 1s anyway.

1 Like

It’s normally that you can wear any wings you’re entitled to, but you can’t wear mudguards as you loose entitlement to them. It’s unusual I’d imagine for anyone going through to have pilot wings though, unless they’ve transferred across.

Wouldn’t that suitbthe Navy types? I would have thought push off the ramp of a A400M at altitude with the request “use those Wings now”…

…too harsh?

I once saw a guy who sewed his cadet solo gliding wings onto his No.1s, I would have happily fired him out of a cannon…into the sun.

2 Likes

I’ll just stick this in the same place

Screenshot 2022-10-30 22.45.27

3 Likes

I wouldn’t want to wear PPL (or even CPL/fATPL/ATPL) wings on a CFAV uniform. Cringing even thinking about it. Same reason we don’t put civilian quals on MOD email signatures.

2 Likes

Don’t you…?

Plenty of people in work who have degrees, technical Qs as post nominals… I have my engineering professional titles after my name as they are my post nominals…

2 Likes

Do you have any of these?

Might change the reasoning.

I can see why those might. As we are an “air minded youth org”

I can see why others would argue against.
Badge envy seems not to have an age limit.
Bit like when i give out badges to the cadets.

1 Like