Opinions?

so here’s something i’ve been wanting to talk about. around a month ago my squadron opened NCO applications for cadets. there was about 15 applicants and we all went through the JNCO test. i admit i’m not brilliant because I did my first class over 2 1/2 years ago and have forgotten some basic knowledge.
the only requirement was basic ATC knowledge and preferably leading classification. however quite a few who applied only had first class and there was this one cadet (lets call him cadet A) who didn’t have first class.
we all went into an interview process except this one cadet (cadet B) who had been in the ATC for nearly 5 years. every OC we’ve had told him that he was close to being promoted but the OC always left and never passed on that message. before lockdown and a little bit after lockdown he always had perfect uniform and brilliant attendance. he’d put his name to trips etc.
however just over 6 months ago he started working and some of his shifts finished half an hour before cadets even started, which prevented him from being in uniform. he went into his interview on the day he had work so that meant he could not be in uniform (for the second time). he came out looking upset and told me what happened.
the OC, and 2 members of staff (one who was different when I had my interview) told him that he could not be considered because he could not turn up in uniform frequently. he explained it was because of his work shifts which he could not change and he could not afford greens. he explained it was because of work and they just completely ignored his reasoning. one of the members of staff said something like “its either come down in uniform or not at all” (something like that) indicating that he could be suspended for not coming down in uniform.
when he told me about this later he said he had felt let down by all the members of staff at our squadron and feel like it’s no longer worth it, giving the fact he turns 18 in just over 6 months.
i offered to talk to one of the nicer members of staff (who has known him even before i joined) and cadet B said there’s no point.
i feel like this cadet does deserve a chance. he proves himself to be a great cadet and loads of people (including me) pressured him into applying because of his dedication to cadets (which is probably another reason why he was upset). he even told me “i have given them everything they needed” and continued to say that he doesn’t care about coming in uniform anymore and won’t be able to change his work shifts. the best he said he can do is bring his uniform down and iron it at the squadron and just change there.
to add onto this i feel like the promotion system was a bit unfair. i haven’t been promoted yet and am not sure if i even will (which is ok because i have 2 years until i’m 18). the rank slides were apparently supposed to come in on monday but they didnt and said they will do it today. they allowed cadet A to apply despite him not even having 1st class. there’s a cadet in my year doing GCSEs with me (cadet C) and the CO promoted her with the last 1 rankslide he had saying that she wasn’t going to be here on monday. cadets A and C haven’t even been here for 1 year. who knows I might not have been here on monday either. i feel like they should’ve promoted everyone at once when they are all down.

what is everyone else’s opinion on this? sorry it sounded like a rant but i thought to myself that COs should promote cadets the old way (promote those who proved themselves as a cadet rather than almost asking to be promoted). this was just something i needed opinions and to get off my mind.

another thing to add is that i’m kind of scared about telling the staff about my recent ASD and ADHD diagnosis. if i do get promoted i thought of telling them after so that they don’t exclude me because of my disability (which I am coping with very well in cadets).

The situation you and the other cadet are in is beyond the capabilities of most people here, especially when it comes to ADHD and Autism. But, if it was my squadron, we definitely wouldn’t suspend a cadet for being poor and being able to buy greens, we’d make sure he got them through stores. So your squadron seems a bit tight.

2 Likes

I can’t and won’t comment on the promotion stories. It would be unfair of any us to do so as we’ve only been given one side of the story - a side that is likely swayed in a particular direction (through simple human nature! Not a dig at you at all), and are decisions based on nuances.

However, a couple of points;
What’s so bad about bringing their uniform to the sqn to change into after work? That’s showing initiative and a willingness to go above and beyond to be part of the sqn. Those are both good things.
If they’re working and earning money, are they really not able to get greens? You can pick up used sets for very little money (and re The Man, not all sqns issue greens, so that’s a redundant point).
A lesser point, perhaps not relevant here, at my unit, anyone who’s not been promoted by the time they’re just shy of 18 is unlikely to get an extension of service granted - and at 6 months to go that process should already have started. If it hasn’t, that will tell you whether the sqn are wanting to keep them on.

Tell them. These are medical conditions that the staff need to know about. They can affect the activities you try to do.

Remember, in cadets we live by the ethos of RISE. The first two are key here;
Respect your staff enough to tell them important and medically relevant information.
Integrity to tell them the truth even though you may have reservations.

5 Likes

That makes some sense as to what you said.

For a start they cycle to work all the time so I’m not sure how they would carry their uniform without having an accident or creasing it.

Secondly the greens sold at our squadron cost around £80 and whenever he earns money i know he has to buy food for himself and his mum asks him for money which i still don’t understand why. His mum was never able to afford it even before he started working.

My friend (cadet D) who is 18 before cadet B hasn’t heard anything about staying despite them still wanting to continue after 18. I’m not sure if you have to apply or if you’re chosen.

Also about the diagnosis, I was told when I got diagnosed that I have the right to tell who I want. I would like to tell members of staff gradually but not until I feel comfortable. It’s like work. If I get employed I don’t have to legally tell anyone that I have this disability unless it seriously affects my performance, which it doesn’t.

The sqn has to apply, the individual cadet needs to fill out a DBS application and a form telling the Wing why the cadet should be kept on after 18.

It sounds like your cadet A has some serious financial problems and should be focusing on them and not cadets.

Also it is understandable why you want to be careful about telling people about your mental health. But it would be of great benefit to tell them sooner rather than later

1 Like

Yes and no. These are medical conditions that will affect what activities you’re able to do - and what forms and permissions are needed in advance. Your staff need to know this.

Our last lot of promotions were based on who turns up and who can only do one day a week. So we promoted a boatload as we don’t have them all down on the same night so it worked out well for us. Personally, I think excluding cadets from promotion due to work or uniform issues could set them back or to leave on bad terms. Also we don’t know the full story of how your Sqn is and how it works.

We have had cadets with various “mental illnesses” and it means we have an idea of how to deal with cadets if they have episodes etc. We never exclude any of the cadets plus for the activities we do they will need put their medical conditions down for staff to know.

1 Like

If Cadet B is a “regular” it my be worth his uniform being held on Unit, this shows ingenuity (making the most of his situation). Turning up late is not a crime, and if their uniform is already onsite it will stop them having to stuff it in a bag and run the risk of bad inspection results…

The medical conditions should be mentioned to the CO; as others have said. If the CO is ‘not the right Staff member’ then maybe the Adj- either way Staff should be made aware. The Padre is always good to talk to if you dont fancy the COs office…

A number of things are looked at when promoting. Attendance is one, but also appearance bearing, and ability. All Sqns are different and the ‘perfect’ candidate doesnt exist. It sounds as though the Sqn in question are looking for something that isnt there (yet).

1 Like

This remains your decision…but I would speak to that member of staff. If there is “no point” then there is nothing to loose and you know you have done everything you can for that cadet.

To manage your expectations, Other cadets highlighting the situation & lobbying the CO is very unlikely to change the initial decision but it will make them sit up & take notice.

One of the biggest challenges as CO is getting the full picture of cadet and then making decisions around promotion on what’s best for the cadet, NCO team & the Sqn.

However what I would expect is that the welfare & post promotion process support is put into place for the cadet who wasn’t promoted.

So even if it won’t make a difference to the promotions speak to the staff member & it may make a difference to the welfare.

1 Like

And very disorganised recently. I was supposed to get my blue comms over a month ago (nearly 2) and multiple people were supposed to get promoted today and Monday but no one has. One cadet was already promoted before everyone else who applied in the mix which does seem unfair. Especially because someone who I believe is going to get promoted isn’t down on Monday either.

Four points to make:

a) Would his employer even allow him to store his uniform at work, would he have a safe space to do so and also a suitable locker?

b) As soon as I started work, the first thing my mother wanted was a contribution to the household costs as I was living at home, particularly if money is tight and more so at the present with costs rising exponentially.

c) Has the civilian committee or is the committee aware to possibly be able to help with the ‘greens’ costs to assist him?

d) With regard to attending, I find it surprising the Squadron management haven’t taken into account his employment situation and if the comment by a staff member you relate is accurate “come down in uniform or not at all” then that is outrageous and disgusting.

3 Likes

Totally agree about trying the Padre - and please let your Wing Chaplain know if the Squadron one can’t help!
Thank you - and your friend - for all you’re doing for your Squadron, and the Corps. I think it’s really appreciated, we’re just rubbish at showing it sometimes. Please don’t let bad experience put you off other opportunities in future. Best wishes for blue skies!

1 Like