One rule for me, but another for thee - SMS approvals

Except it’s only partly for their benefit. It’s also for yours. You just won’t realise it until something goes tits.

2 Likes

It’s now been asked on Valuing our People on Teams - contact, wait out. :boom:

5 Likes

oh I do realize that - but the risk of it going tits up is no less with the paperwork in place - i accept for those in that unfortunate situation are grateful for it but it doesn’t reduce the risk for the Cadets.
the walk i did 15 years ago sans BEL is the same walk i do now with it…the route is the same, the learning outcomes the same, the stops i use for teaching elements the same…

it is a shame that for a low RtL activity which never caused anyone any issue a basic 7 mile navigation walk requires so much more effort with no benefit to the Cadet and only benefit if things go wrong - which given the low risk is very unlikely…

Except there are evidenced issues of incidents in that terrain that I have posted on here…case studies as mentioned above. Just because you haven’t been involved doesn’t mean they don’t happen.

3 Likes

Quick let’s ban all AT.

i don’t disagree at all let me make that clear we are arguing the same point.

but it doesn’t stop the frustration that nothing has changed and would be a very freak incident that would cause any kinda of review to the paperwork to take place - which i repeat - would be grateful for should the incident occur but that doesn’t stop the frustration and indistinct difference for the Cadet experience

(i also recognise that what i did then and what I do now hasn’t changed cos that is how i operate, others probably have had to change their ways as what they did before was less than ideal)

Head above parapet…

We are where we are - 6 covering paperwork is here to stay for the protection of all (believe it or not)
However, what we need is TSA/SME/WSOs who actively work to make this paperwork easier for us - not spend their time rejecting it at a last minute review before the event.
These people should be actively working with us from when we 1st tell them we are planning an event, guiding us through paperwork, giving us examples of previous paperwork to understand and use as required.

In other words making our lives easier and enabling us to deliver the cadet experience

…and head down

8 Likes

That would also mean us being receptive to their advice and listening to what they have to say, which I know also doesn’t happen. It’ll take everyone working more collaboratively to achieve this but agreed that it’s the way forward given where we are.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more…a team of ‘admin’ types for a certain activity (say DofE) who have the pot of RA’s/paperwork ready and are on hand to assist with the admin burden…I know this means some poor sod has additional work to do but as it would be for the benefit of the masses…I’m no mathematician but more efficient admin + less rejections = a better cadet experience

Maybe they’re out there somewhere, I just haven’t managed to find them yet…

There is tons of this stuff out there. There are generic RAs available, there is an example admin order in the back of the ACATI. I produced example JIs, admin order etc for the region/wing. The same exists in LASER, and probably the others.

The problem is that templates can’t reflect the many different variations between activities. People expect that the provision of example paperwork means they don’t have to think about what information they put in and just fire it off. Doesn’t work like that - that’s how site specific risks get missed, and how you end up with rejections.

I would love a tick box RA system that you go thru picking all the risks that apply and then give you an option of how you would like to mitigate them!

Win win - admin is reduced - site specific Ra produced!

2 Likes

Automation done properly would be great

2 Likes

I think that there might be too much so everyone gets over-loaded.

I think what is happening is we get taught how to emulate the paperwork & not make it bespoke to the activity.

Need an RA? Just get a generic one, tweak and slap your own details on.
Admin order ? - dig out the one used last time & change the dates - bish, bash, bosh.

This then means that when we need to do bespoke stuff or the process changes we are not familiar enough to adapt to way of doing things to produce things quickly & efficiently.

We need a happy medium - no need to reinvent the wheel, but people need to be empowered to fly solo.

I regular encourage my staff when submitting an event to wing to write a detailed. comment of a checklist that everything is in place. It means that the SME checking it knows the unit has considered those factors & it means the staff member gains understanding each time of what they have to put in place.

2 Likes

This is extremely sensible and where most rejections happen. What people forget is the SME has not been involved in their planning process. Unless there is direct evidence in the documentation they have considered certain things, then they are not psychic.

In many cases I can guess the plan as I’ve been there and done these things before; but that won’t stand up if something goes wrong or my guess doesn’t tally with some maniac that goes way off-piste.

2 Likes

A minority do.

My direct wide experience from across this here corps is that the majority are oxygen theives.

The easier I make it for the SME more likly to get it approved! :grin:

Doesn’t have to be a complex comment, just a quick rattle through of the SSofT.

3 Likes

I think it’s be good if SMS had functionality built in that if you select an event it tells you what needs to be attached along with what qualifications are required to run that event and if you’ve added the staff then it looks at their qualifications. Then a big export button at the end that exports the information you’ve put in into a standardized admin order format in word so there’s no multiple inputting and you can adjust as required.

2 Likes

Woa there!! I am still using Quill and Ink…

1 Like

Thats advanced im on slate!

RIAT SMS Approved :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

2 Likes