Official policy on multitools?

The post should of been no legal power. But it’s clear some think they do

From my perspective, surely it’s about educating cadets, not ‘policing’ them? We would be failing in our duty as staff if we just let cadets carry on doing something they may find themselves in trouble for, just because it happens on the way to or from the Sqn. Remember the second aim of the ATC? To provide training that will be useful in both the services and civilian life. Stretches the definition of training somewhat, but the principle is the same.

I couldn’t care less what my cadets carry where. What I do care about is making sure they are aware of the law if they choose to do so. If they then decide to still do it, that’s their choice if they get caught.

I have much better things to do on a parade night, as does every other member of staff, than search cadets as they enter, trust me.

I don’t know where you get these ideas from. It may be the area i’m from but i’ve never felt the need to carry a knife in self defense or felt like i’m being looked upon as suspicious (or searched for that matter).

So would having a pencil sharpener without pencils be committing an offence? It’s a blade after all

I was about to say that’s a stupid question, but I did see a guy charged with a possession of a bladed article when all he had was his yellow safety blade from a supermarket.
Depends on how much you annoyed the police officer and the prosecutor.

1 Like

Depends on the CPS really, I would say personally that it’s the same as a safety razor in that it’s designed in such a way that the blade can’t be used to cut so no, but who knows what the CPS are going to say. (If you modify it so that it can be used as a weapon then legislation wise you are moving into Offensive Weapons rather than Points & Blades.)

1 Like

Says a lot about this country…

1 Like

Not really Laws are made by Parliament, no Law is going to be black and white there is always going to be interpretation. (Even Killing someone isn’t Black & White as far as the law goes).

it makes sense that the Prosecuting authority decides what does and doesn’t get prosecuted based upon the evidence available (we don’t have enough evidence to secure a conviction, should we spend £20,000 in Crown Court trying?) and the public interest. (Is it worth taking this 14 year old with learning difficulties to court for shop lifting a packet of chewing gum at a cost of several thousand pounds?).

Of course there’s interpretations and opinions (offended, insulted, alarmed, distressed, harassment etc) but surely the law is too open to interpretation if we are even considering the possibility that I could be convicted over a pencil sharpener.

FWIW I have a ‘flight safe’ multitool (it was under a tenner) for my work backpack. No blade but a cutter for wires etc. Although I could carry a locking tool when the job demands it the plus of this is it stays in my work bag. I reckon it could do 90% of what Cadets do in the field. It’s just not very ally.

or you are not seeing the big picture… spin the blade round and you have a very nice
wee cutter to slash someone with, I have seen it happen!

Which would be an Offensive Weapon as opposed to a Bladed Article as it has been adapted to be used as a Weapon.

I do see the big picture, however the situation Daws talks about it one where the blade is not removed and it is still questionable in these circumstances.

I could kill you with a chair. I won’t. But I could…

Adapted weapons require an additional element of mens rea as they not offensive per se.

Don’t fret, as long as you aren’t weilding that pencil sharpener, you’re probably ok.

I’m referring to this, which makes no reference to adapted weapons or weapons at all.

A pencil sharpener has a blade and without pencils there’s no reason to have it. “Just in case I need to sharpen pencils” is not an excuse. So unless there is another reason the courts accept as good reason, surely it is an offence?

Yes, we’re being silly about this, but the law is also silly at times

Adapted weapons fall under s.1 of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953

[Off topic] if you sharpen a pencil to make it a more effective stabbing tool, is the pencil sharpener an accessory to more than your pencil case??

5 Likes

I would say that under the strict definition of the Act that yes it could be an offence, I suspect that CPS wouldn’t run with it, unless it had been adapted in which case it would fall under a different act and section.

1 Like

The adaptation is what what shows the mens rea, if you pick up a chair with the intention to hit someone with it thats not adapting that’s intending.

Adapting would be taking a baseball bat (lawful) and sticking nails through the end.

I work within the Administration of the Police sector.
The CORRECT legal advice is:
It is illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife.