Official policy on multitools?

While I was at a nearby squadron to my own, I was speaking to a cadet NCO who says they regularly carry a leatherman/swiss army knife style multitool. I know these are legal to carry aslong as the blade is <3 inches long and does not lock (unless good reason for larger/locking knife).

Although these are legal, what is the official policy on carrying these on RAFAC activities? Could they theoretically get into trouble for carrying this twice a week to the squadron?

Never heard of one and not something that needs to get too excited about IMO.

I’ve always got a Swiss Army style penknife in my pocket, at work (a school), cadets and generally and a multitool is just a beefed up Swiss Army knife.

Theoretically (as far as I’m aware) it’s legal, but I’d take that with a pinch of salt. If he’s walking down the street with the blade out, then there’d be a problem. If it’s kept securely in his bag, only removed from the bag to be used when required, and only carried when it’d be useful to have then I see no issue, as long as he has his 3822 and a genuine reason as to why it’s necessary; otherwise I wouldn’t recommend always carrying it on you. He’ll end up being at the wrong place at the wrong time and it could go downhill very quickly.

I’m aware it’s legal, i’m wondering if there’s any RAFAC policy about carrying them (where and when you can). I imagine they could be a bit picky about knives…

Not a policy as far as I’m aware, but why would you bother?

Why would you bother with a policy or carrying one?

Carrying one has its uses with screwdrivers, knives, scissors etc
I can imagine HQAC making one because they’re uncomfortable with 12 year old with knives.

IMO depends on the cadet and activity
But wouldn’t get too bothered unless in the hands of a dafty

It’s not necessarily legal, if the blade locks then you need to have a reason and “just in case” does not wash, certainly not in a City. Even if it doesn’t lock the screwdrivers and stuff can push it into the points and blades area of legislation.

1 Like

There isn’t an overarching RAFAC policy, what is relevant is the activity in question. If in doubt, ask.

Obviously the need for a multitool depends on the activity however would there realistically be anything done if (hypothetically) one was carried every night to the sqn?

If you were stopped on the walk to or from in possession of one yes, in London you would almost certainly be arrested as you wouldn’t be able to give a specific reason for possession it.

I remember I had a pair scissors in my pencil case back in year 10; we had a knife arch in our school - as you do - and they were confiscated. Apparently “there’s no need” and I could use the schools ones. Never saw those scissors again :sob:
In London they can be really tight on laws concerning bladed articles, especially with the increase in knife crime. I believe it’s about 46 people that have died from stabbings just this year.

I can’t think of any reason why a cadet would require to have a multi tool on them every parade night. If however the cadet was taking part in an activity that could reasonably require a multi tool then I’d have no problem with it. For example I have confiscated a multi tool from a cadet for the duration of the night when we were doing bushcraft and they were specifically told not to take their own cutting tools with them.

No policy required, just common sense from the squadron staff.

1 Like

I was referring to RAFAC policy (and what can be done without one), not the law. Am I correct in assuming you are saying they would be arrested for the pointed object (screwdriver) not knife (assuming non locking, < 3 inches)?

Sorry some staff can’t operate with that Statement now… if it’s not in an ACP then they are lost

1 Like

You also stated “I know it’s lawful” which is basically untrue.

Now if the blade on the “multi-tool” isn’t locking and is under 3” the blade is lawful. (I’ve never come accross a multi-tool that has a non-locking blade, unless you mean a crappy Swiss Army knife. (which no one would call a multi-tool).)

However pretty much everything else on a Swiss Army knife or Muti-Tool falls under the pointed bit of the offence of points and blades (Screwdriver/corkscrew) and you technically need to have a justification for each element and quite simply their is no justification for a cadet to be carrying this about every parade night.

It’s not just in London, the National Guidance from the CPS is if you are 16 or above and in possession of a blade or article which is sharply pointed without a lawful excuse you will be charged for a first offence. (No Caution, No Youth Offending Team triage, straight charge).

From the sounds of it this cadet could be deeply in the brown stuff if they were to be stop searched.

1 Like

screams in uncontrolled tooling and fod risks

1 Like

To be honest, it surprises me that even screwdrivers on a swiss army knife could get you charged. I’ve seen police officers with multitools, both regular and the victorinox rescue one (which I can see the justification for). Can they justify every tool on there?
What about a pencil sharpener without any pencils? Isn’t that possession of a blade without a reason?
I’d ask about a butter knife but I know the answer to that…

I’m not doubting what you’re saying, but how often is this actually enforced?

Every time someone is found with a bladed or pointed article more or less.

Then how do police officers walk around with them? Do they use the corkscrew during their policing duties?