Official Air Cadets Letterhead

As an SNCO am I allowed to have my own letterhead? or will I have to use my CO’s and get them to sign for any document I produce?
This is towards asking permissions from industries to ask if we (as air cadets) can go there.

We have a squadron letterhead. Anyone forcing you to use an OC’s isn’t worth doing something for.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, what I have in mind is worth doing as it will go towards cadets personal statement (including mine) when applying for universities soon (as well as gaining experiences as a cadet etc… ). It is worth doing but I am unsure how to set it out, from the advice I have had, it has to be as if he/she has written it.

I think you need to clarify are you a cadet or a member of staff??

I you were staff I would say go for it

If you were a cadet I would be more inclined to get a staff member to give the letter a once over and check what is being asked for.

Letter head wise we have a standard sqn one

3 Likes

I am a cadet, yes, of course.
Would I have to do risk assessments or will that be staff’s role?

As an Adj, we have a standard letter head for all correspondence. Even if you are a SNCO the letter should be signed from your OC as he/she has overall responsibility for all cadets and activities you partake in. Hope that helps.

1 Like

Rubbish. If you’re a cadet maybe yes it should be sent from a staff member, ideally the OC.

If you’re staff, send it from yourself. Nothing takes agency or responsibility away more than those OCs who have such low self esteem that they think everything must have their name on it. The recipient isn’t going to care if it’s signed Flt Lt Joe Bloggs or CI J Smith. It means nothing to the vast majority of the public.

Insisting that it comes through or via an OC is petty, micromanaging and will lead to staff wondering why they’re not trusted.

(Although if someone is sending an official letter I’d like them to let me know as a courtesy, but it certainly doesn’t need my approval or name on it).

3 Likes

That’s what I’m trying to say if you are a cadet it should be seen by a staff member or OC and signed. :roll_eyes: I didn’t say a staff letter. Calm down PeP.

I note you asked about risk assessments

Firstly are you trained to complete these??
If yes then why not give it ago

Ultimately though you will not be the person signing off to take charge of this activity it is their responsibility to do it. however I would discuss with your staff/oc and see how much you can assist in all aspects of this even if it is to shadow a member of staff or you do it and a staff member reviews and updates it. Then it all helps in the long term.

A word of warning if this is your first time don’t be surprised if 50% or more is altered, it’s not that you are daft or anything it’s because you may of missed something or added in too much information that’s not required. Use this as a learning opportunity you will not get it right first time and it could be your third or fourth attempt before it just needs a gentle polish before submission :+1:

1 Like

[thread drift]

what constitutes “trained” to complete Risk Assessments??
As a AT bod i complete RAs for my events, as i do for Squadron events - i do not recall being “trained” by the RAFAC

There is a Risk Assessors course run by regional HSE guys.

yes, but does one have to go on that to be considered “trained”?

and if so - does that indicate that ONLY “trained” CFAVs can complete a RA process??

I was under the impression at least 1 (ideally two) persons on each unit should attend the course - i don’t recall any policy indicating only “trained persons” can complete an RA

[thread drift]

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.