OC or CO

Hi.
Simple question.

1. What is the difference militarily speaking between a Commanding Officer and a Officer Commanding.

2. Is it referenced anywhere which we should use if the OC/CO of a Sqn.

Cheers

Officer Commanding is a temporary post where as Commanding Officer is a permenant post until, in the regulars, they tourex.

Whats the difference with Officer in Command? or is that the same as Officer Commanding?

In Army terms a CO would be in change of a Regiment or Battalion. An OC would be in charge of a company within it. most of OCs of Sqns are flight Lt and would never be addressed as an CO https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comparative_military_ranks

1 Like

Yeah that was always my understanding

Major Unit (Wing) = CO
Minor Unit (Squadron/DF) = OC
Temporary Boss = OIC

1 Like

Ok. But actually written anywhere in any JSP etc

This is not for ego. I have to get something expensive printed and I don’t want a costly muck up!

OIC seems to be used that way in the ATC; from a military point of view though I’d say it’s more commonly used for a secondary or temporary (ie course or exercise) role.

Also see it at DFs, where the OC is at the parent unit. Alternatively, non- Flt Lt cvaf in charge of a unit, usually not done the commanders course - so oic or ncoic.

Yeah, but I’d say that’s more an ATC-ism.

A DF should really be either OC or simply Flight Commander.

Just print it up as “Lord commander major colonel in chief”

1 Like

Was once told that an OC has no powers of dismissal.

Where as a CO can dismiss.

So OC Wing or OC sqn can’t dismiss a cadet or staff member, where as a CO, like Regional Commandant can.

No sure if that’s correct, but something once told to me.

Sort of - I think it’s related to the fact that in the forces a CO has certain summary justice powers - however in small units an OC may hold these.

1 Like

Hmmm, not so sure - a formal letter to the “boss” of an RAF sqn would be written thus:

Wing Commander A B Cloggitt RAF
Officer Commanding
No 123 Squadron
Royal Air Force Snoring by the Marsh
MIDDLEOFNOWHERE
Norfolk
NR12 3AB

He / she would be referred to on base as the CO…

Is it just grammar then?

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.