Obtaining Warrant for the creation of a Sqn

Noticed some squadrons have a copy/original of the Warrant which sets of the creation of their unit…
Also noticed some squadrons don’t…

Anyone know how to obtain a copy of the warrant? Who to ask etc.

Depends how old I suppose. Air historic branch may have something. Do you know the date of formation?

I think people display them on squadrons if they have an interest / pride in their squadron’s history. Although many have got lost.

I know HQAC cocka deaf 'un when anyone asks about squadrons and their history. They haven’t got a form for it.

We have ours on the wall. It dates from 1941 and quite amazing that it has survived this long.

I have never come across a unit who have managed to get a replacement but you never know if you try hard enough.

The Royal Warrant is provided at Annex A to Chapter 1 of AP1919, and whilst originally it was dated 5 February 1941, the latest version is dated 9 August 1968 and was signed by the Rt Hon Tom King.

There is a schedule to the Warrant which is also important.

This Warrant is the official authorisation which enables the existence of the ATC, and as the ATC is the specific reference, there should be a more recent document to substantiate the existence of the RAFAC.

Further to this, the Charity Commission issued Exception orders, consequent to Charity Law, whereby they have scope under that Law, to allow ACO Charities to be Excepted, if they are not within scope of the requirement to be Registered.

However all that changed with the Charities Act 2011, which ceased Excepted status from 31 January 2009, unless there was specific legislation, as in the case of Religious bodies, which have Exception extended to 2021.

This means that any new ACO Charities cannot legally be regarded to have Excepted, and the Charity Commission cannot provide an Exception order. I am only referring here to the Law of England & Wales, because in Scotland ACO Charities have been required to be registered since 1996, and the more astute will be aware that the ACO operates within other legislature, but clearly appears not to be conversant with these variations.

I was at a newly created Squadron and am not aware that any specific warrant was issued and certainly no order from the Commission, but jt seems that Excepted status was assumed , as per guidance issued by HQAC, even though it might not strictly be legal.

I always assume that if something is important, someone somewhere will have a copy.

Aries

There is no need for a change as we are still the ATC.

RAFAC is just a substitution for the ACO

2 Likes

Oh how I wish that more people understood this.
The number of signature blocks with *** Sqn RAFAC is irritating, but the gnomes using it don’t/can’t/won’t see it.

1 Like

And some Twitter accounts of people who are senior enough to know better…

They use twitter which just about says it all.