Observation Skills Night

Hi All

I’m a new CI (dragged in through our children lol!).

I’d like to run an observation skills night. I’ve found a couple of Bear Grylls short clips on YouTube & will get them to watch one without knowing they’ll get asked questions on it, then try the other one & see if the results are better.

Has anyone any ideas of what I can tag onto this to make a whole night of it?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve done an exercise like this combining it with something like a memory test - getting them, as a team, to remember something - planning a journey across London on the tube for example. Then do Bear Gryl videos, then recite their journey across London - asking questions about the number of stops, the colour of the tube on the map, which other tubes join at particular stations, station names, orders or sequences.of tube names etc.

2 Likes

That sounds awesome! Thanks.

Anything else you have for a new aging CI would be much appreciated :grin:

Not sure how many cadets you have in your group but… Split your cadets into teams of 4 or 5.

Gets some Lego. Put together one pack of Lego for yourself and then for each team. Each Lego pack needs the same quantity, size, colour of bricks and bases etc.

Build something unusual using your Lego and then each team is allowed to look at that model for a set period of time and then go away and reproduce exactly the same thing with their pack. Points can be awarded for accuracy including colour of bricks etc.

If you don’t have Lego you can use something else as long as each pack is exactly the same as yours.

For those interested, this exercise can also be used with radios where one team makes a Lego model and then, using radio procedures, has to describe it to another team so that they can reproduce the same.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Worth noting that there’s a why things are seen lesson plan too - worth teaching that!

Outside, various noises, 2 mess tins, coughing, Red light;, white light, suitcase clicks, radio sounds etc. I used to gain as much info thru sounds as with vision.

Set up a “scenes of crime” in a classroom.
Nothing grim. Say theft.
So a couple of chairs over turned.
Window open.
Desk drawer open.
A lamp light left on.
things like that.

Then ask cadets.
Which drawer was open?
Which window was open?
How many lights were on.

Then have them look again, but ask different questions.
They will have simply gone back in to check their original answers. When you present then with different questions it will really highlight the need to observe accurately.

2 Likes

Stolen. Thanks :wink: