OASC soon

Good evening everyone,

I’m sitting OASC quite soon. I’ve practiced my DST, I’ve revised the ATC/RAF and I try to keep up to date with current affairs. Hopefully I have done enough.

These may seem like silly questions but the only silly question is the one not asked so they say.

Should I arrive at RAF Cranwell in a suit?
Will I need more than one suit?
Do I wear a suit in the mess?
Can I arrive earlier than 1600? I would like to be able to gather my surroundings before kick off.
How much cash will I require for the mess?

I haven’t got a lot of experience on RAF stations even though I was a cadet for 7 years and I have been a CI for nearly 4, so I am anxious regarding this whole experience.

Any other helpful tips and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers, Valiant.

1 Like

My advice?

Ring your Wing Ex O and ask them to give you the contact details of the last handful of people from your wing to go to OASC.

My other advice would be:

a) yes, turn up in a suit - it’s easier to tone it done if it’s a bit OTT (whip the tie off, get rid of the jacket etc…) than it is to turn it up if you feel a bit scruffy.

b) yes, wear a suit in the Mess (insert obligatory RAF Mess being a bit, well, non-U joke…), the same rules apply as above. Double Denim is very definitely out. Even in the RAF…

c) if you have a spare suit, take it. Trousers are more of an issue than the jacket - nothing with dent your confidence like having a baked bean stain on your trousers while you’re being interviewed. Take two shirts for each day.

d) assuming you don’t have to pay for meal - check that - just take what you’d need for a night in the pub. Don’t feel that you need to get involved with a drinking culture, if you prefer soft drinks, or just a cup of tea, have them instead - after all, being an Officer is about leading, not following. A young Officer who can’t stand up for what they think is right at the bar is unlikely to stand up to a grizzled old Flt Lt OC on a safeguarding issue…

1 Like

Yes, arrive in a suit - and ask for directions to the candidates’ mess when at the guard room (it’s where you’ll pick up your key)
Yep, arriving a bit earlier than 4 is fine. Time to sort out room etc. Briefing is at 1830, dinner is before that - yes, suits in the mess but not everyone will know that so it’s not really enforced. You’ll be told to sit at the circular tables.
Meals are in Sergeant’s Mess, a hike across base from accommodation. They give you a map. There is a small car park near the OASC accommodation but the main car park isn’t too far.
No charge for food in the mess, as long as you wear your ID.

1 Like

It’s been a while, but from memory :

• Arrival before 16:00 is fine, if accommodation is not ready then you can sit in the mess lounge
  • You can wear a suit or chinos, shirt and jacket for arrival and for evenings in the bar, you will be fine. Don’t forget that you are always being assessed. Whilst the staff in the Candidates Mess are civilian contractors this doesn’t mean they can’t report back to OASC staff.
  • The Candidates Mess main building is really just a reception, bar, lounge and briefing area. You will collect your keys from there, but the accomodation (which is single rooms with shared ablutions), is a short walk away. Food is in the Warrant Officers’ and Sergeant’s Mess, about half a mile away. There is no charge for food, but you will need cash for the Candidates Mess in the evenings – The bar is cheap, but be cautious of over indulging. If just buying for yourself then £20 will be more than sufficient, but don’t forget that if you get in a round then you may spend more !
  • The first full day you will be in sports kit (ensure that you wear jogging pants and a long sleeved Tshirt etc as legs and arms cannot be uncovered).
  • The second day is interview day, that is the day to wear your best suit !

Hope this helps you?

1 Like

Thank you, everyone! :blush:

@Valiant

Any tips for someone heading up to Cranwell fairly soon?

I know there’s a “new” boarding process in place now but imagine the bones of it will remain the same. :smiley:

Not heard anything about a new boarding process!

I passed my board in March. Prepare, prepare and prepare. Practice the Speed distance and planning exercises. Speak up throughout, even if you’re think you’re wrong!

The hanger exes are tough and there is never enough time to finish them. Again, speak up. It’s quicker to try something rather than argue it with your team or even continually overthink it. Just give it a go. Can’t emphasise speaking loudly enough in this either, the boarding officers need to hear you. They will prompt you if they can’t hear you.

Interview prep is incredibly important and I’d argue the most important phase. It is what scored me the highest. Knowledge of RAF AND ATC is essential. Knowledge of NATO. Current deployements of RAF, Operations Shader, Toral etc. RAF aircraft and what they do. Groups and current senior staff knowledge. CURRENT AFFAIRS…be prepared to argue your point as they will counter it regardless of your view to see if you can stand up for your point of view.

@MRAR if there’s anything else or you want a proper run down feel free to PM me. Hope this helps my friend.

1 Like

There is no longer an individual planning exercise and you go straight to interview from the hanger. (No getting changed) The interview has been cut to 12 minutes and only covers “Motivation for a Cadet Forces Commission” and “Awareness of them RAFAC”

5 Likes

Has the overall duration of the selection weekend been reduced?

Yes 2 days down to 1.

And that’s mirroring the ‘real’ OASC process, too.

Thanks- suspected that was the case. Much obliged

1 Like

Hangar exercises and a 12 min interview?

Almost back to tea with RC and a pulse check :rofl:

3 Likes

Was the pulse check not hit or miss so largely ignored, it certainly seemed to be back in those days.

I remember thinking how frustrating OASC is given that we are volunteers for a CFC. But now this new OASC is in, I’m kinda frustrated that I had to put so much prep in for it and pass…now it’s hangar exercises and a 12 minute interview on RAFAC awareness :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

It’s like I’ve said to a number of the old guard… Glad I did the OASC way rather than tea with the RC as I feel I’ve earned my commission more. :wink:

2 Likes

Depends who your RC was!

2 Likes

well @MRAR, let me know how it is, I’ll be doing mine in November (unless the powers that be cancel this date too!)

1 Like

I agree I was put through the wringer on my interview a full 90minute onslaught about everything. It’s easy to make it sound simple but it wasn’t and the 3 people in front of me all failed.

it wasn’t all tea and biccies!!

2 Likes

Does seem a tad harsh to make people trek to Cranwell from all over the country for something that can be pretty easily replicated at (at least) Regional level in an afternoon.
I get the uniformity aspect of it, but in terms of being user friendly…?

1 Like