North Region Flying

Congratulations to North Region who, according to the Commandant, got 1200 cadets airborne last week. :clap:

6 Likes

Did He make them all jump at the same time?

2 Likes

As one of said 1200 cadets I must say how amazing the day was with cadets from around the region airborne in either a Puma or a Chinook.

1 Like

I remember when we had operational VGS’s and AEF’s that were doing those numbers routinely.

However this isn’t to discredit RC(N)'s efforts - definitely doing well in putting the “air” in the “air cadets”.

3 Likes

Better than nothing and while good, being pax in a Puma is hardly the AEF flying experience we push, ie 20 minutes a year with hands on etc etc. This sort of thing has been done in other regions as well, Benson played host to several hundred cadets a couple of months ago.

I recall on camp at Lyneham when I was a cadet we had a couple of Herc flights in the week and others came from camps on other bases for the same thing. But this was as well as and not instead of Chippy flights

I had cadets there and they said it was an excellent couple of days and would do it again.
At least it’s something!
Other Sqn’s in our wing had been to brize this year and 70% of the flying places were cancelled for various reasons this though went ahead

Benson and Odiham have done similar things in recent years. It is no substitute for 1:1 flying but at least it’s something airborne. And I reckon most cadets will prefer to say they’ve flown in chinook/puma than tutor!

1 Like

My lad was one of said cadets and he really enjoyed it however, he did say that not all cadets got a flight

It was tremendous, see attached:

The rest of the activities were a little unorganised, but a great day nonetheless. The Commandant was there and it was nice to meet her.

3 Likes

It was a great day and as I understand it, all who wanted a flight, got it. I was particularly impressed with the push to get CIs on a flight, even thought it was on, then off, then on, then off, then long sleeves on and all go! Nice to be recognised and rewarded this way. Uniform still got their flights as well. Our cadets thoroughly enjoyed themselves and there was a variety of aviation/STEM activities available, although in the great tradition of any event organisation, nothing quite went to plan, except the rolling programme of flights. Spending the day with the sound of the Puma and the Chinooks was pretty fantastic, though, even for someone like me who lives pretty close to an airport!

2 Likes

I know this is a year late, but yes, it was fantastic! I was one of those 1200 cadets, and most of us got a 20 minute flight in a Chinook, with the back door open, so we could see the impressive view below us. This took place at RAF Topcliffe, in North Yorkshire, and the event was named ‘Aviation Day’. Hopefully they’ll do the same again this year! Just after Aviation Day I heard that our Region was planning on doing the same this year, but with even more cadets. Fingers crossed (though I haven’t heard anything yet; I’ll ask at squadron tonight)!!:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::uk:

2 Likes

The number was about the same in Scotland, but there are less cadets up here. I was one of those who didn’t get to go.

That’s a real shame - especially as I understand that some cadets from North Region were flown. I wonder why the spare places weren’t distributed around your region?

I could have gone, my entire squadron got places. I just happened to be camping and my dad decided that I couldn’t get a train home after a week.

1 Like

So that’s North and S&NI Regions, hopefully the other Regions will follow suite, if they have someone with the nounce to pull it off.

Judging by the TV interview, ACF cadets were also there…

1 Like

There was ACF cadets there. There was also a massive gap between where they sat and where the rest of us sat :joy:

1 Like