No tent city at Odiham this year?

Same at waddington

Looks like they’re on a PGL school trip to France.

I miss the tents we had in the 80s when I was a cadet
Wood frames, heavy canvas, roll up sides. inch thick ropes you could see, duck boards, proper beds and chests of draws for your kit

Almost glamping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tents currently being put up at Odi.

1 Like

Good, new summer camp tomorrow

1 Like

Big blue 12x12 equivalent by the look of it.

1 Like

I hear the tents blew down at Odiham and they’re sleeping in the gym now. Next week’s camp have been warned they may be cancelled.
They’ve been told to start sourcing their own tents, including small 2 man tents just in case

1 Like

All I can say is that, if I was told I’d be staying in a tent for a week, I wouldn’t be going at all.

7 Likes

This is true

Those 12×12 s ain’t looking so bad now

2 Likes

They also did last week at Conningsby, not that the tents were serviceable to start with they’re all 2nd hand bell tents that have the same waterproofing as a sponge. At least they have been sorted … for now

1 Like

Ahh but at least they hold up to the wind right?

https://twitter.com/fenslice/status/1683259091139829763?s=48&t=02Cz3Nc4KOsan_tgoUs5CA

More and more staff are now refusing to do tented camps. Its going to rear its heads at somepoint.

I know we gave 1 week back this year, the root cause was it was tented.

1 Like

Aren’t those bright red things the tents they use in developing countries for epidemic outbreaks?

2 Likes

Definitely give off refugee vibes :joy:

1 Like

Tent city is currently being rebuilt…

In the doghouse?

Looks exactly the same as it did last week.

Something about madness, repeating, and different results.

For the cadets it’s an experience for them to stay in tents. For staff it’s downright dangerous. The finance manual and annual camp manual used to have the para about if there was no proper service accomodation available for staff, hotels had to be found off-site for them. If I’m running a range and driving a minibus on camp I want a proper room so I can have proper rest away from cadets (and other staff) in my downtime. This is where they are happy saying for the CFAV on camp, oh it’s just a hobby, but still expect a totally professional delivery.

2 Likes

ACP 237 still states:

Staff Off-Base Accommodation. Adult staff should be accommodated in their respective messes. However, in the event that such accommodation is not available or is not of an acceptable standard, as agreed by the CC and the ACLO, staff may be accommodated off-base provided:

a. The stn provides the Form 95 (Certificate of non-availability of Service accommodation), which is to be attached to the F1771 when claiming allowable expenses.

b. At least one adult member of staff (Camp Duty Officer (CDO)) remains on the stn.

c. ACRHQs approve the request and are prepared to fund the accommodation costs.

d. Communication is available between the off-base staff and the CDO.

[my bold] and I would argue that falling down tents probably meets that criteria.

1 Like