No.3A Did anyone proof read this?

seconded - but as the clarification of what 3A is is 12 months old and the last time i bought a Squadron tshirt was 3 years ago (and then at each unit before then) difficult to comply with something which isn’t clarified yet…!

hitting the nail on head - I have ~12 tshirts which are redundant for No3s but only if i choose to take the shirt off…!

That’s exactly what we’ve done. Wicking sport-type polo shirts which can be worn for any of those options.

The problem with only buying No3A compatible shirts is that many Squadrons already have their own brand identity, most of which predate the whole RAFAC brand and many of us don’t see any reason to give it up for a fad brand which was created by the current Commandant, what if when she goes the new Commandant has a different take?

The concept of what is now number 3A has been out there for decades by convention if not regulation and this whole problem could have been solved by creating a regulation based around the use of current use Squadron T-Shirts/Polo-Shirts. Instead the Uniform Nazi’s have over complicated it, creating problems we don’t need and causing the practical amongst us to just ignore the letter of the rules whilst keeping to the spirit of them. (ie if my unit wears 3A it will be in the sort of scenarios that 3A is for but using our existing polo-shirts).

4 Likes

Noone is ever going to win on that one because the simple answer is “tough”.
We were never permitted to make up our own squadron brand identities to wear in place of uniform before so they’re not going to permit us to do so now.
If a squadron has shirts which are close enough then I doubt it’ll be a problem but those Squadrons who have decided that their “squadron colours” are orange and purple or whatever should not be surprised to be told that they are not permitted to wear it with No 3A any more than they’d be told not to wear it with No 2.

Lots of people went outside of the regulations to create something totally unauthorised and are now upset that they’re being told that it’s not authorised. :confused:

This debate is turning the whole situation into nit picking bovine effluent of the first magnitude.

1 Like

it makes me wonder if they (HQAC) insist on 3A tshirt/polos then where will they go next - will SOVs have a “brand” expectation??

I have been on units with an old LDV, as battered as you like yet passed an MOT with no branding.
another where every town charity which helped fund it had a logo on the bus
others i know go the full monty as if it is a recruiting tool, no doubt the bus is RAF and RAFAC branded while others simply make do with “123 (Anytown) Sqn” on the side and back of the bus.

then there is the colour - most are white but i have known units have red, blue and even a yellow one in the past!

I have no intention of asking permission, so the worst I’ll get is a whinge email afterwards which I will promptly ignore.

If Wing or HQAC want to run an activity in 3A then I’m sure they will supply shirts which comply to the brand guidelines for that event, you know like they do for RIAT…oh wait.

9 Likes

Having read this thread I am struck by the pedantry around items of uniform and shirts that are not issued.
As long as the shirt is smart, with non-offensive logos, what does it matter? The public don’t care.

I’m with daws1159. What can they do? Fine you? Sack you?

Bureaucracy and rules gone mad!

4 Likes

I have a gut feeling that the next directive that will be enforced is that all Sqn crests/badges must have proof of going through the herald process or return to standard badge

It’s too expensive to enforce that rule.

My pedantry is pre-emptive in response to these rules. It’s just typical of whoever writes our rules on uniform (which are enforced by pedants) that they aren’t even internally consistent. At the moment they contradict themselves in a number of ways, which means compliance is impossible.

And considering the fact, that officially, you need permission before you even wear no.3a, you need to get it right from the outset. There is a difference between wearing 3a properly, and simply taking off the lightweight jacket in 3 because it’s hot.

1 Like

Court Martial followed by cessation of Chocolate Ration?

6 Likes

Cessation of chocolate ration anything but that.

The point is not whether the public care. A brand has been created and as we are all subordinate units we are mandated to adhere to it. People need to learn to deal with it and stop grizzling about their “Squadron identities”.
RAF Squadrons build their own internal identities as well, but they all wear the same uniform. There are places for “own brand” items - such as Sqn cummerbunds, which are only worn within their mess when guests aren’t present. Any other time they wear the standard RAF uniform.

With regards to rules around non-issued kit… Tough.
Greens aren’t issued at all but we are still expected to conform to the regulations IF we choose to wear them.
Nobody says a Sqn HAS to buy shirts for No 3A. Nobody says that a Sqn HAS to wear No 3A. It’s their choice.
If they don’t want to buy shirts which fit the regulations then don’t. Simple.

1 Like

So when are Corps events going to start following their own rules then?

5 Likes

Ahh well… That’s another issue and I heartily agree that they should .
They should be setting the example!

Out of sheer morbid curiosity. Is RIAT camp actually ran by HQAC or simply by a volunteer who’s job it is to arrange and run the camp?

If it’s the latter then I’m more inclined to give them a pass on the whole 3a thing, if it’s the former then I’ve lost even more respect for them.

The gentleman in question is a volunteer.
He’s ex RAF, and was OC of an ATC Sqn for some years. I believe he started his run with RIAT whilst still on a Sqn. Was later promoted to Wg Cdr and I’m not sure what other duties he now has in addition to RIAT.

Reading ACP20 it’s a stand alone job.

Yes it is a HQAC camp and is run by HQAC

OC RIAT is indeed a CFAV, but is a CFAV on HQAC books. not a Squadron, not a Wing or Region, but HQAC, just like the OC Eng and OC Ops roles - these are Volunteer roles in thier own right, no longer secondary duties.

Back in the day 20+ years ago it was a WExO run camp, back when they were WAdOs, B&G WExO ran the camp as the Camp Commandant, for B&G, Dorset&Wilts, Thames Valley and No1 Welsh.

the camp soon grew as RIAT realised what the Cadets could do for the show, and so demand for Cadet “man power” was increased so did the camp.
the camp grew to a Region event, but still run buy the then WExO - now on the second B&G WExO.

Having become so big, HQAC got involved and sent down TG2 for a few days each year until it was decided HQAC would take on the role. A Wg Cdr was appointed
this brought about many changes, no less so formalised roles within the structure of the Staff.

That Wg Cdr ran the camp for several years, until they stood down as part of “retiring” from the Corps.

the replacement as @wdimagineer2b indicates is “one of us” - or at least once was.

He is ex RAF, and later joined as a VRT, became a successful OC, while holding Wing roles and what is now recognised as “OC Eng” for RIAT.
When his predecessor (the first HQAC appointed OC RIAT) stepped down, this individual was the obvious choice and so became OC RIAT and was promoted to Wg Cdr and with it the HQAC appointed role “full time” as a CFAV.

12-18 months later the OC Eng and OC Ops roles were also created as primary roles for a CFAV and not secondary duties. Both of these individuals are ex-Cadets who attended RIAT in the earliest of days was it was ~30 Cadets and only the Senior Cadets attended. they have since become VRTs, ran Squadrons as well as having Wing roles, and since been promoted to Sqn Ldr as part of the “full time”/primary role as OC Eng/OC Ops.

Although OC RIAT is every bit a Volunteer as we see on Squadrons, he has his “office” at HQAC, walks the corridors there and is regularly seen checking in on FB at that location for another meeting.
Being a HQAC appointed role he knows the HQAC Staff well and as such when putting in a request, or raising a problem regarding RIAT it attention as he’s talking to the likes of Dawn’s team and others they influence.

3 Likes

But they will, and wear them with impunity!

If you make such strict rules, the choice to ignore is selected by more people. Especially when such a high profile event like RIAT ignores the rules. This emboldens others with the opinion that it is one rule for one and one rule for others.

Simple rules are easier to follow and far less likely to be ignored.

If HQAC are prepared to pay the £500+ costs associated with this process or put in their own process in place to authorise Sqn Badges, my Unit would undertake the process. Until then my Unit will keep its “unauthorised” Badge!

1 Like