No.10 AEF (RAF Woodvale) height requirements?

Well, im going AEF to Woodvale, but im not sure if im too small for the parachute or the LSJ. Im a touch above 5’7, but it would be nice to know what chest or other measurements there are to show that I could be allowed to go flying. Cheers for the replies.

The attached is an unofficial guide sent out from 10 AEF regarding sizing for cadets.

The fitters have the final say when you arrive at 10 AEF, just because this suggest you may be large enough, doesn’t guarantee that you will be.

The file is too large to attach. However it suggest that if you have a 35" chest you may be big enough

Sorry, im new to this site, but where is the attachment? thanks

As am I, the file was too large to attach, I didn’t notice at first

There are no set figures apart from weight maximums and minimums.

We will try and get you flown but it is quite literally a try it on and see. 3FTS have not issued any official guidance as there are too many variables, spinal length, chest size, shoulder droop etc.

It’s a pain I know but we are only following instructions from above.

What day are you going?

i was always under the impression it was a min and max weight for a parachute and a minimum height based on hips to shoulders (so it actually was placed on the back and not wrapped around the body)

details here
https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/WalesWestRegion/2WelshWing/Shared%20Documents/Activities/Flying%20and%20gliding/No%2010%20AEF/Cadet%20Parachute%20Sizes%20Guide.pdf

NB the document cannot be attached due to its size

this saturday

the page needs a user and password, but thanks anyway

if you email me the file that was too large to post, I’ll pop it on the ACC Drive for you

djrice AT aircadetcentral.net

cheers

Ok. GM wing. I won’t be there unfortunately but don’t worry. The Squippers will do their best.

Fingers crossed for you.

The set limit for Cadets in ACTO 31 (Air Experience Flying) is a minimum of 35 kg. In reality, this is the main factor as it provides tension for the canopy to deploy properly. I have seen cadets shorter than you would expect go flying, so as Steve679 says it will be up to the Squippers to make them fit!

That is correct Matt however, as 10 AEF is within 5 miles of the coast it is compulsory that an LSJ is worn and an LSJ can only be worn with a parachute in a large setting.

In land AEFs do not have this issue. They can use all 3 size settings, S,M & L. We, on the other hand, can only use chutes on the L setting.

Did you manage to fly today??

Yes! It turns out you need to have quite broad shoulders more than anything. There was a couple of people taller than me, who still got rejected because the parachute just slipped off their shoulder when fitting. They all have to be set to large to accomodate the LSJ, airfields like RAF Cranwell dont need cadets to wear LSJs, so most people can fly there. Its just coastal locations, like Woodvale. Good luck to anyone else hoping to fly.