No. 1 Uniform Issue

Does anyone know the latest on No. 1 uniform issue?

Myself and several others entered uniform during COVID. When we received our letters we were informed there was a 4-month delay to No. 1 issuing. Subsequently, there was another email to say the delay was now 6 months and not to contact anyone about it. We’ve heard absolutely nothing since (well over a year now) and it’s looking likely that this will be the 3rd Remembrance Parade in a row where we’ll be wearing No. 2 SD instead.

I would completely understand if someone said No. 1s still aren’t available; it’s the complete lack of Comms that’s annoyed me.

Whilst there’s nothing wrong with 2SD, I do feel that attending in No. 1 presents a more respectful image.

How long have you been in the organisation?

2 Likes

You might want to re-raise this on VoP. It was originally raised in August last year, and the discussion seems to have been bumped every couple of months but with no real updates. Just a lot of “there will be an update soon” type messages.

At this rate, I’m half expecting them to become private purchase items.

Also, I’m not familiar with the acronym VoP. Can you help a daft newbie out?

I had hoped there would have been some improvement in the 22 years since I was initially involved. Alas, no.

1 Like

VoP is Valuing our People, previously VoV (Valuing our Volunteers). It’s an open forum where you can ask questions directly to senior staff, where you can’t otherwise get an answer via the CoC. It used to be on Sharepoint, but is now on Teams. You should be able to join via this link

There’s a question on this already on VoP. First raised last August. We were initially promised an answer in September. This was pushed back to October. No answer has yet been forthcoming, no comms have been issued.

Last request for an update was February and was passed on to a Sqn Ldr who never replied in public.

Don’t hold your breath.

I was appointed in 2019 and still not recieved mine. I managed to acquire a set from someone who was leaving and they have been vaguely tailored to fit. I doubt I’ll ever receive my own set though

I’ve been told informally not to expect any issue, but also not to buy my own as that’s ‘not the done thing’. Luckily I have little reason to wear No1s in my role.

I was appointed in 2018 and did my IOC at the start of 2019 and was measured then, still no number 1’s.
I hope no-one plans any funerals until they arrive.

Hi I did contact So2 logs and he advised the following on the 24th Feb after I raised the question on the supplier contract he asked the SNCO logs to touch base and update and remarked - “might look at doing a No1 specific logs update again, we can tie into the Air cadet logistics instructions as well.

Since then nothing has been forthcoming, however I did see today that RC(N) has prompted the SO2 logs for an update on VoP…

3 Likes

He’s watching… Hello sir! And thanks for the help.

3 Likes

I was commissioned June 2017, attended OIC December 2017 and measured. Received a set of Number 1 so bad I was advised by parent unit stores to reject, which I did. Later attempts to resolve got nowhere, nor did intervention by WExO (sadly now gone). Then COVID. I have basically given up ever having any.

“Why are you not in Number 1 uniform?”. “When I get issued it, I shall wear it. Not before.”

Update from SO2 logs this now on VoP - Good Afternoon, Where personnel have requested a No1 Uniform they are to engage with their parent unit. My last information from A4 Commodities was that they are working through back orders with priority of Phase 1 Trg recruits. I will be releasing a Logs Update on Uniform in June which will have updated info from A4. The HQ are also writing a series of Air Cadet Logistics Instructions that we be available on the BADER Logs Hub. This is a slow process as we are starting form scratch and we are a small team atm. I hope this helps

not that I begrudge this as a priority on the basis that once a month there is the next phase graduating of lets say 50 from Halton and I would guess a similar size from Cranwell, thus ~100 bespoke No1s each month* is the operation supplying these uniforms ever going to be able to get ahead of demand by producing 100+ a month to ever get through the back orders?

*I invite someone to correct me how often graduation courses take place and the size of these

Officer or NCO?

For officers, that’s rubbish. It’s absolutely the done thing. Proper officers binned the set issued by Cranwell and got down to Gieves & Hawkes for some nice tailored ones.

(And no, despite working in CCF, I didn’t do that… although mine do feature separate rings of rank braid on the cuff, not the nasty composite stuff. Nice tailor at Cottesmore did them for me.)

1 Like

Surely officer. I didn’t think NCO got issued No 1s?

1 Like

Maybe not. Just that NCOs get all uniform issued (in the regulars) free of charge and can exchange at stores, whereas officers get initial issue and then an allowance so they can supplement and go to G&H if they want to.

Just going by what I was told. I guess they don’t want people cutting about in stuff they’ve found on eBay.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.