Nijmegen March

Does anyone have any advice / info as I’m going on the training weekend soon

When you’ve finished it remember to tell everybody that you’ve done it at every opportunity. :wink:

3 Likes

Make sure that your boots fit properly and that they’re broken in; only you will know the correct sock ‘combination’ that suits you - 1 pair/2 pairs matters not except that it works for you. As you’re walking, keep drinking water - it is too easy to get dehydrated over a long distance.

If you get out to Holland, it’s a fantastic experience and a brilliant atmopshere.

3 Likes

It is a mental challenge more than a test of fitness. Keeping going can be hard. A gòod team will help.

Look after your feet
Vasaline is your friend. You don’t want to walk like John Wayne
Positive mental attitude

It is a great event.
Has your wing and team leader done it before? The standard of your team leader will have a great effect on your experence.

3 Likes

Don’t wear new boots.
Have loads of clean socks.
Find out what works for you, a thin sock inside a thick sock.
Don’t use too much foot powder it will clump and ball up with sweat and create hot spots and blisters.
Don’t tie your boots too tight. Firm. Not tight.

CLIDT for Blisters.

Clean
Lance (only if painful)
Iodine (or disinfectant)
Duoderm (or Compeed type stuff)
Tape (Zinc Oxide)

Never tape directly onto a blister.
Tape up your hot spots before they become blisters.
Use single sheets, with no wrinkles and as few “joints” as possible.
Compeed alone will not survive anything more than a civvie bimble.

As your a cadet, always try and seek advise for blisters. The staff should be able to watch for tracking. Don’t go bursting every blisters, it’s a route of infection.

Vaseline for chaffing. If your getting webbing chaffing, tape up.

Tiger balm/deep heat for muscles soreness. But make sure you wash your hands after applying.

Always carry small snacks to hand. If you drink just water and eat nothing, you will cramp up.
Use water through the day. I liked to use chocolate flapjack. The chocolate spikes your energy and the oats are long lasting energy.
If your cramping, I like salted peanuts.
Beef jerky also comes in handy.

Use electrolytes, spareingly during the evening to replace salts. Get a good dinner.

Don’t try and “man up” through any pain. And make sure you speak up to stop and do your foot admin. Make sure your daysack is packed properly, and use the waist belt.

And make sure you eat a good breakfast.

1 Like

Listen to what people are telling you but remember, what suits one person may not suit you. Learn to adapt to your needs, your body will tell you that. And don’t be frightened to ask others, like you are doing here, for advice.

2 Likes

Have fun

Yeah, learn what works for your body. Training is more about trial and error than it is about the distance. For instance, all I need to do is put on thick socks, liner socks and boots. No tape,no powders, no passing and I can walk 100 miles and get no blisters. Others need all those things and more.
Also, get good underwear. Nothing ruins a day like chafage in ‘places’.

2 Likes

Yes, but if you have got to that stage you have already left it way too late. Act to avoid blisters and fix it when you get a hotspot rather than waiting for a blister.

From a previous TL up here: at the end of the marching day, Shower, Eat and Sleep IN THAT ORDER.

1 Like

“Finger-socks” didn’t work with me and created hotspots.

Already been covered above. But I second the don’t wait until it’s a blister. If it’s a blister it’s too late.

Hotspots can be taped over. Blisters cannot. If you can feel it, don’t “man up”. It takes 2 minutes to admin, your not in combat. Your not advancing to battle.

Blisters offer a route into the body for infection. Infected blisters are not pretty, and can cause serious injury, leading to amputation or death.

Always carry out your foot admin. And let them breath of an evening. Wear flip flops. Wash all the tape residue off. And make sure your toenails are clipped properly.

And yea. Shower. You mingers.

And remember, don’t clip toenails immediately before a walk! Give it a week or two to bed in before you go out.

1 Like

Have fun!
get some blister plasters they are amazing.
the biggest challenge is the mental wall, you can over come it !
all in all
good luck and have fun

make sure that you have a GOOD pair of socks and a decent insole for your boot (sorbothane ones are good), this is especially important if your feet blister easily, I haven’t done Nijimegan though I have done RAF WARMA twice and this worked for me.