Nijmegen 2024 (feedback regarding preparation and attending)

Hi if you read my previous posts you can see that I did not attend the 2023 Nijmegen march but that is not a big deal, I do still in fact look forward to attending the 2024 march.

To the point, what are some suggestions about stuff I should already be preparing on? For one I still haven’t able to get on BRM and it is frustrating, it is a march I can easily do but it is that one tick box that I have to get past by to even think about attending the 2024 march.

Let’s say I finally complete the BRM (unlikely to be soon due to practicality impossible to sign up on) but let’s say I did it, what would be the next steps other than personal trainings? Would any other qualification give me higher chance of getting on the march? I would call this a last call because this is the last march I can attend before turning 18. Support would really be appreciated!

Thank you,
Cpl M

1 Like

It might also be nice to hear a review of 2023 from someone who was there? I can give generic Nijmegen advice, but I haven’t been in a loooong time, so can’t be more up to date

2 Likes

Firstly just remind me what BRM stands for again? The only thing I can think of is bronze but the prerequisite for BMC (British Military Contingent - going with rafac) is silver!

If youre planning on going with RAFAC, attend all road marching practices at a minimum, but I’d definitely do some walks on your own. I found the killer was walking on a 4th day for the first time, so if you’re able to it might be worth to have a 4 day walking practice!

Honestly my biggest advice would be to get in as much walking as you can. Sign up for SGM, Waendel, Winter WARMA, WARMA and any other that you fancy. That way youll have the motivation to actually practice. Find yourself a walking buddy and just get as much time walking as possible (small walks, long walks the lot!)

Good luck with your Nijmegen journey. Ill hopefully see you out there!

1 Like

Blue road marching?

1 Like

BRM meant as Blue Road Marching what says it is a prerequisite to even be able to attend, indeed it doesn’t train you that much and I don’t want to rely on it as the sole training but I want to get it sorted so that I am eligible!

1 Like

I an also able to go maybe twice a week and walk 10 in a relatively urban area and maybe add weight to my bag, would that help me out? I am also willing to attend any RM that comes up so yes, I am trying to get into good condition!

Is your wing one of the ones that doesn’t support Nijmegen attendance?

If so, I’m afraid making the BMC is near impossible for you. However, there’s nothing to stop you self-organising once places are released to the general public.

As for their support, I am uncertain, I know that my wing barely ever hosts any RM, and when they do, it is usually announced very late so its super easy to miss even if you check frequently. My neighboring wing is famous for road marching though, so can I attend their courses? Thing is, other wing’s courses don’t show up in the SMS so there is no way to apply. I also know someone from my squadron did Nijmegen but that was before the pandemic.

If you don’t mind answering, which wing are you?

That would be [somewhere in the SE].

They traditionally enjoyed a big presence at Nij, has that changed?

1 Like

Indeed looks like it, before the pandemic Nj was popular there but after we got out of it, I haven’t met anyone from my wing that done Nj. Favour for RM dropped and now there isn’t any enthusiasm towards it, I am also one of the few interested in doing it. I really hope I can at least practice through my neighboring wing if it is possible.

That wing have been running Blue RM courses, this year over 100 cadets have completed their Blue RM badges - so im suprised to hear that you think there isnt any enthusiasm.

The lack of people who’ll have completed the 4 day walks since CV-19 will be due to limitations on spaces

Perhaps its your squadron not advertising them?

4 Likes

Mhm sounds like indeed there are some courses, for some reason they aren’t advertised on SMS in my squadron though, also you know the prerequisite to do BRM? I heard about some sort of “Theory” that has to be done but I never heard about it before. Thank you

The ‘theory’ is completed all as part of Day 1 (of a course that spans 3 days) followed by a 15km walk.

The dates may be consecutive or every Saturday over a 3 week period (or similar) but that depends on staffing.

IIRC You just need to be enrolled in order to participate in the Blue Course, age restrictions come into play for events such as Nijmegen.

Yeah I am looking forward to attending the BRM and then Nijmegen so again thank you for all the support, I am 17 and enrolled for a long time so I definitely qualify for BRM, again thank you for all the support!

Whilst not wanting to bring you down, I do feel it’s important to manage expectations somewhat too.

In my Wing there’s a huge demand for places on the Nijmegen team, and at the same time the number of places made available to us by BMC has been reduced. This means that cadets joining us for Road Marching won’t make the Nijmegen team in their first year of being involved.

You’re in a different Wing, and the way your Wing works may well be very different to mine. But as great as it is that you’re excited for Nijmegen, just keep in mind that it might not happen for you this year too.

1 Like

Would really be a shame, to be honest I been trying to do it for the last 5 years and the thought of giving it up another year just isn’t what I expected, my OC also tries the best to get me on it so I really appreciate all his help.

There’s always the option of doing it privately as a civilian

Indeed if it isn’t possible to get on with the RAFAC I will go as a civilian, I am able to do trainings my own (10KM with weight) and increasing the distance weekly, so that isn’t a problem. Can you go alone at 17 or you need someone with you? Do you also get the qualification in the ATC for it?