New Year Honours

Many years ago I attended a CAS Commendation ceremony, there were about 10 recipients. I can’t remember each in detail but amongst those awarded were: a pair who were 1st on the scene on a serious RTC prioritised the casualties, gave first aid, organised others to control traffic and generally managed the scene until ambulance/trumpton/police arrived; a Sqn Ldr VRT with 50+ years service at Sqn, Wing & HQ levels; and a WO Mess Manager who’d organised a Summer Ball in the WO&Sgts’ Mess.

Seems like in order: well deserved, a little low but still deserved, sounds like just doing their job (guess it must have been a phenomenal evening in the OAP’s Mess!)

The decision making can appear unbalanced, I’m told that Cadet Forces are each limited to 1 MBE per list usually for Wg Cdr or equivalent, sometimes it’s just a case of right time right place or maybe who writes the citation…it’s a subjective system

Interestingly the BEM is mentioned in ACP 3, which appears to have been last updated in 2019. However, it is in a separate section to the “range of state honours available to RAFAC personnel” bit.
Can’t quite make sense of it. Feels like a copy paste from a MOD document on the topic as it mentions RAFBF and SSAFA which have little to do with our core role as CFAV.