New Staff Probationary Periods

Following on from the WO who has commissioned and is wearing APO slides and the topic deviated into Probationary Periods, figured I would create a fresh thread.

Probationary Periods are a bone of contention, and I think are somewhat counter productive with the limitations they put on individuals, but will put my own thoughts into a separate post.

Current Rules
Officers - on probation for the first twelve months, during which they must attend and complete the Officers Initial Course (OIC) at the RAF Air Cadet Training Academy (RAFAC TA). Limit on external activity (see below)

SNCOs - The first 12 months of this period is probationary, during which time the SNCO Staff Initial Course (SSIC) at the RAFAC Training Academy (RAFAC TA) must be attended and successfully completed. Limit on external activity (see below)

CIs - starts a 6-month probationary period, during which time the mandatory training course, Adult Volunteer Induction Package (AVIP) must be successfully completed. Limit on external activity (see below). However, provided they are appointed within 2 years of leaving adult or cadet service, those who wish to become CIs are not subject to a period of probation

Limit on External Activity
Quoted from PI 201 (Officers) but text is like for like for SNCOs & CIs.

Individuals are not permitted to participate in external activities during their probationary period unless a waiver has been granted. Where an officer is required to attend a specific external event during their probationary period, a waiver is to be sought from the Rgnl Comdt/2FTS. Such requests are to be in writing, outlining the details of the event and why the officer is required to attend; consideration will be given to any previous RAFAC appointments and experience. If necessary, HQ Pers staff may be consulted by the Rgnl Comdt/2FTS. A general waiver, to allow attendance at any activity during the probationary period, is not normally to be granted, however, individuals who have previous experience as a Staff Cadet/CI/WO/SNCO may be granted a general waiver by the Rgnl Comdt/2FTS provided that such a waiver is supported by the OC Wg and submitted in writing with full justification. RHQ should maintain a list of all waivers granted.

For CIs there is a slight adjustment in relation to the waiver;

However, should an individual be formally registered on Universe, be issued with a number and complete their mandatory training within the 6-month period, waivers may be granted by the Rgnl Comdt/2FTS to allow these volunteers to participate in a specific external event before the 6-month period expires.

What is External Activity

“External activities” are considered to be off-sqn activities where the probationary CI would be required to act as a fully-trained volunteer staff member and have responsibility for cadets, including overnight stays. Attendance of probationary CIs on personal training/development courses and Rgn/Wg trg days is permitted without the need for a waiver.

For our WHQ this is any activity where they are not a Student, had an example where we were doing a staff development day for shooting and our medic needed a waiver despite no cadet attendance.

Benefits of the Probation Period

• Defined time period to complete all required mandatory training
  • Prevents a brand new member of staff being sent to take a minibus of cadets to an AEF with no idea how this works (for 6-12 months)
  • For uniformed staff, ensures that they have received sufficient training to correctly wear their uniform and associated compliments etc.

Disadvantages of the Probation Period

• New staff are confined to barracks and become Parade Night staff who then never support on weekends
  • Admin intensive waiver process - Our WHQ want a 6 week lead time
  • Fails to offer coaching opportunities - We have an AEF slot, why not come with us so you can see how it works
  • Applies to all SNCOs & Officers regardless of previous Cadet/Staff experience, which means you could have a CI who regularly runs activity X and goes into uniform (great) but then can’t run that activity for 12 months without applying for a waiver each time.
1 Like

The OC Wing could apply for a general waiver for such person. No need to apply each time then.

This bit is the most bizarre imo. If I’m a CI who runs loads of off squadron stuff and decide now’s the time to go into uniform, I suddenly have to stop all of that unless I get a waiver which is a lengthy process…

Maybe this is the bit that needs to change instead. Allow the weiver to come from OC wing or WExO instead?

1 Like

Could = Should but doesn’t :frowning: I think some of our local OCs aren’t prepared to rock the boat. Others just accept they can’t do anything so don’t say they want too.

Current process for us is…
Request must come from the probationary CI
Approved by OC Sqn
Approved by WSC
Approved by WEXO
Approved by OC Wg
Approved by RC / ARC

I’m going to try and move to a MS Flow that we can use with MS Forms to make it simpler, we also use a WHQ Designed Form, so that the WEXO / OC Wg / ARC / RC can see all comments in a single place and not trawl an email trail.

I do think the RC is the right place though, as the DDH.

It should be a process that is automatically trigged by your OC Wg when the sign off on the board report etc.

I’m in favour of the probationary periods; and I’m generally in favour of the existing system around external activities. I think therefore, that it must be a bit localised.

Contrary to the 6 week example, I have had a couple of occasions where a newish Sgt has been one of the few available volunteers for camp/course where we are short staffed.
An email explaining the need, that I am satisfied that Sgt Doe is suitable, and stating that I will take responsibility for ensure they are properly briefed and mentored in the ways of a Sgt was sufficient. A few days later it was “Yes, they can attend”.

Your process sounds horrendous!

potentially another topic in its own right but…

…what is meant by this phrase?
and how does a 6 month probation period allow for this to be completed?

does this simply mean - have completed the mandatory training?
given many of us are now ACTO099 compliant having updated our training no one can realistically indicate it takes 6 months to complete, i’d even suggest 6 weeks is a long time!

so what other “training” should these probationary CIs be receiving in the first 6 months?
or is the word “training” being used when all HQAC really want is “experience”? (yet as a CI attending once a month is deemed ok so that “experience” could vary alot)

i appreciate you already answered this with…

yet to quote you again where you quote the regs

it is crazy to think people are not wanting to “rock the boat” yet the same regulation that they are wanting to abide by also allows them to “rock the boat”

Apologies - my fault I started this

My confusion/dismay is around the fact that at one position/status you can do many things
You are appointed to a higher(sic) status but you need a waiver to do what you did before!

If it is about the behaviours that go with the status change then that is training (RAFAC Playschool @ Sleaford Tech)(you wear white tabs you need someone to hold your hand)

If it is about experience then if you did it before why not again (conversely there are many things I am allowed to do that I never have but can because I am not on probation !). If they have held a supervisory position within the organisation why not again

Maybe it should be ‘Can not hold a Director/Duty of Care position on an activity whilst on probation’ - i.e. they are supervised.

My only contention with all this is that - at least as far as OIC goes - it doesn’t actually teach you anything about being an officer. It doesn’t teach you anything about the ATC (or CCF as applicable).

That means all that training and education has to come from elsewhere, isn’t regulated, isn’t regimented, isn’t checked, and makes the probationary period a nonsense.

11 Likes

if i could like this comment twice i would

The most impractical part is ‘stacking’ the probationary periods.

So a CI who has served actively on unit and on Wg or even Region teams, maybe even held an SME role, is back on probation for a year if they go uniform.

Same if I read it correctly if someone commissions from SNCO. So another year.

Surely the uniform probation period could shortened accordingly, or they could be allowed to attend in their prior role ie as a CI or SNCO.

The issue could be resolved (threads passim) by having a PI role. PI to SNCO or Off could be followed by say 3 or 6 months before they are allowed to be the AIC in new rank. But keeping them confined to the Sqn is daft.

I honestly don’t know why aslong as AVIP and ACTO99 training is all done they shouldn’t just be given free reign…

3 Likes

As a recently uniformed individual who was a CI for five years before that I’ve kept attending off squadron activities and acting as Activity IC on stuff I’ve organised. Nobody has said anything yet.

I still have my relevant qualifications and five years experience as a CI - don’t really need my hand held just because I wear a different outfit now.

Everything I’ve done off squadron since returning to F2F has been AT or first aid so haven’t worn uniform anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t actually see why we stop any new people doing things “off squadron”. It is completely fair and right that they aren’t left in sole charge of an activity, but banning then attending anything without permission for each time is an admin nightmare and serves no purpose. If the aim is to stop people from taking charge without the relevant experience and training, actively stopping them getting that experience is counter productive.

13 Likes

This is everything we should be adopting now given head count of CFAVs is at an all time low and lockdown has probably given people an incentive to pick up new hobbies.

If in uniform there’s always been that bit around we don’t want them looking and acting like an idiot on a station… The simple answer to that is just tell/educate them early doors.

1 Like

Lets face it - RAF is so contractorised that on the few occasions when you do go on a station even during the week how many ‘real’ uniforms do you see?

When I did SCC they were so short on uniforms at Sleaford Tech that the guardposts were manned by FS (including then FS Moss kidding )

1 Like

He did a week of nights the week before my Arms Drill course… Fair play

Similar at Cosford last time I was there all the gate guard was being done by NCO’s.

Was more a comment on the state of manning that needs us to get SNCOs guarding poles, rather than on the people doing it.

Although if they are told to do it they don’t get much choice PDT_Xtremez_24

If a “probationary period” is to allow gaining experience, it makes no sense to limit the potential of that experience. Responsibility, yes but for new entrants only.

5 Likes