New Smoking and Drinking Policy

That one ain’t true! The only minimum in terms of rank/classification is they must be at least Leading.

The more you know, I stand corrected then.

Good…gooooooddddd…
Come.to the DARK SIDE… feel its poWEEEERRRRR.

moahahahahahahhahahahjaaa.
Discuss over 18 cadets more, in a thread for.something else…

Yes…

Goooooodddddd.

Ahahahahahhamoahahmoahahahahahaa.

2 Likes

I want some of whatever you’ve been smoking or drinking!

3 Likes

Does no one else hear those voices then?
:grin:

1 Like

It certainly is and frustrates the heck out of me. We have so many variants to how the organisation is run depending on your geographical location!

I agree but those signing off the individuals have made their own rules up and therefore they have decided they also need to be a minimum of a Sgt to continue past their 18th b.day.

Surely if you want to keep them as a Staff Cadet with all of the extra responsibility that it entails they would be Cadets who are good enough to have been promoted? There might be the odd exception for a late joiner but if they’ve been in the organisation for any period of time surely they should already be NCO’s?

1 Like

This individual was a late entry, joined just as we went into lockdown so hasnt had long in the organisation.

I would also argue that it depends if there is a space available for another NCO. We have a great bunch of NCOs and there isnt the current capacity with the number of cadets we have that would warrant another NCO (we would be very top heavy!).

I have also known a number of great cadets who dont want the responsibility as an NCO but love to help out as and when required. Why should they be an NCO just because locally that is what someone wants. We either want mature o18’s or we dont!

1 Like

Yet again, another policy created by people in shadows with no actual experience, or even set foot on an Sqn.

Smoking is not illegal yet in the UK, and technically the law states the minimum age for the sale of tobacco products, but not smoking itself. The same as alcohol, which you can drink at home from 4 years old, but you’re not legally allowed to purchase it under 18.

Most kids today have taken up vaping as it’s more accessible and healthier.
Most use disposable products. So no charging is required.
Again, it’s only illegal to SELL products to those under 18s, but nothing is defined in law about the act of smoking itself.

UK law states:
“Smoking isn’t allowed in any enclosed workplace, public building or on public transport in the UK.”

Under Section 7: Confiscation of tobacco products from persons under 18
You can confiscate tobacco products from a person under 18, including papers, but it is not an offence for that person to be smoking.

So where does RAFAC stand with zero nicotine vaping?

The bi-product is water vapour, the ingredients are propylene glycol/vegetable glycol and flavourings, and there is no addictive substance in these vapes?

I just find the whole thing comical.

Yes, you shouldn’t smoke in uniform
Yes, smoking should be banned on-premises as stated by UK law.

But too many OCs overstep their remit trying to enforce bans in places they have no jurisdiction such as public spaces/out of hours.

Personally, I’m 47, have smoked since 12, quit cigarettes 6 years ago and now vape. On duty, I step off of the compound onto public space to vape, often hiding behind something because cadets are not allowed to see me partake in such an unhealthy habit, which leaves me looking like some odd child pervert hiding behind trees.

Instead of worrying about smoking, how about focusing on things more important like cadets’ mental health and well-being, something I see time after time being ignored by SQNs because we have no trained staff to deal with things like ADHD and Autism?

I question sometimes where this organisation is going.

1 Like

I can say with a very high degree of certainty that this is not a current regulation, and is not something being considered at all at the highest level…

Absolutely inaccurate - Heath Promotion is a key part of my ‘day job’ and I can assure you that most kids have not taken up vaping. The percentage of under 18s that have tried vaping is around 6% and those regularly vaping is around 1.5%

1 Like

Let’s keep this discussion focused on Smoking & Drinking policy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish that the MoD was as active in supporting US by ensuring easy delivery of I don’t know powered flying, gliding and shooting. But no that requires someone doing some real, proper work other than passing down some tired dogma.
Smoking has diminished as a thing dramatically everywhere through policies at national levels and rising cost. A policy like this would have had more relevance 20 years ago,. I do think that dictating that you can’t do it on any activity at any time implies that on an activity not one of us are not “off duty” and not allowed any time to relax, in whichever way we see fit.
I can see this widely ;played lip service to and being worked around. What’s the worst thing they can do? Can’t sack us in a meaningful way that would impact us. They may try and give you a rollicking which if you are sensible will be met with a yeah, yeah and move along.

This is an MoD wide policy, not something that has been decided upon by HQAC or Special K

2 Likes

Does that include on deployment in such places as Iraq where there are still UK forces, or in the future in front line operational bases under fire?

no clue :person_shrugging:

You are allowed to smoke on the defence estate if it your place or residence in designated smoking areas.

I would say it is the same if you are deployed.

They piloted it well before Covid. Not sure when it got extended across the board

You missed this bit then:

I hadn’t noticed that it was rolled out wider either.

2 Likes