New Skirts and Tights?

Just had two of our guys come back from their JNCO course babbling on about having to change the girl’s skirts, because there’s new ones or a new type or something, and also that the tights have changed?:S I’m assuming by that they mean colour, but upon checking bader theres been no update to 1358C, so anybody else heard anything like this?

The norm is that if a new pattern of garment is introduced, the old stock can still be worn, that is until they are no longer fit for purpose (ie worn out).
Not had anything promulgated down my way so far about any changes to uniform.

I try to keep my ear to the ground…
I’ve not heard of any ‘new’ pattern skirt. As has been said, even if there were, it wouldn’t require changing the girls existing skirts.

Tights or stockings are permitted and they are still 15D ‘barely black’.

Staff passing on duff information is my biggest hate. Especially on an NCO course when the staff should know exactly what they’re talking about.

Sounds like its Cadets passing the “Duff Gen” from being on a JNCO course I just asked the other half about this as she is still in and she hasnt seen or heard anything about this yet…

I had a new member of staff kitted out with her uniform this week and there is nothing new.

The only think I can think is that they maybe misunderstood being told they are wearing box pleat skirts but now skirts have gone back to without the box pleat. Thought that really isn’t news or a particularly new change.

Other than that someone is talking nonsense on the NCO Course

[quote=“Pamela” post=7278]I had a new member of staff kitted out with her uniform this week and there is nothing new.

The only think I can think is that they maybe misunderstood being told they are wearing box pleat skirts but now skirts have gone back to without the box pleat. Thought that really isn’t news or a particularly new change.

Other than that someone is talking nonsense on the NCO Course[/quote]

I would tend to go with talking nonsense see it a lot in the ACO people going on what so and so said and not on the facts

See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:

(And short sleeve shirts…I hate short sleeve shirts…)

[quote=“tango_lima” post=7292]See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:

(And short sleeve shirts…I hate short sleeve shirts…)[/quote]

The skirts will go at the same time as the senior officers :whistle:

What’s wrong with Short Sleeve shirts, they look a lot smarter than rolled up working blues…

[quote=“themajor” post=7296][quote=“tango_lima” post=7292]See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:

(And short sleeve shirts…I hate short sleeve shirts…)[/quote]

The skirts will go at the same time as the senior officers :whistle:

What’s wrong with Short Sleeve shirts, they look a lot smarter than rolled up working blues…[/quote]

Haha! I think short sleeves look scruffy as anything. I just hate short sleeve shirts in general though, I’d ban shops from selling them too.

Vaguely on topic, I remember my mother and grandmother being genuinely shocked that there were skirts as part of RAF uniform when I was a thirteen/fourteen year old cadet.

I used to live in short sleeves only had one long sleeve shirt that was for my number 1’s

Very rare not to see RAF in short sleeves.

When I was a cadet in 1900 and frozen to death (im not that old it was in the 90’s) I remember people being shocked that trousers were part of the uniform. :lol:

[quote=“tango_lima” post=7292]See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:
[/quote]

No way! I was proud to be a female cadet, and now a female officer, and I love the fact that our squadron has a no-trouser rule for the girls as it immediately accentuates the difference between the sexes and shows we can still be feminine and smart capable squadron members.

It’s an optional item that they are “required” to posess.
As an optional item they get to choose whether to wear them…same as any other optional item.

Does the Sqn also enforce a ‘no stable belts’ rule? Or a no charity wrist bands rule? Do you as a female officer have a hand bag? Does anyone ever use an umbrealla?

Unless your unit also bans every other optional item, then not only is a ‘no trousers rule’ against the intention of the dress regulations, it’s also highly unfair and potentially sexist.

Sticky wicket really. :unsure:

[quote=“emmab” post=11143][quote=“tango_lima” post=7292]See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:
[/quote]

No way! I was proud to be a female cadet, and now a female officer, and I love the fact that our squadron has a no-trouser rule for the girls as it immediately accentuates the difference between the sexes and shows we can still be feminine and smart capable squadron members.[/quote]

I wrote a rude version of this last night, but here’s a more polite and measured response:

1. You cannot have a ‘no trouser rule’, AP1358 and 1358C lay down the law on uniform. Will you be creating local rules contrary to any of the other APs or ACPs? Didn’t think so. (Since it’s not allowed)

2. Trousers or slacks made for women are no less ‘feminine’ than skirts. As I said before, skirts (particularly knee length ones) were once considered the height of manliness. One of my best friends (both in and out of the ACO) only ever wears her skirt for formal events where it’s been mandated and I can’t say she looks any less like a woman.

On thread: there’s no such colour as ‘barely black’ anymore. ‘Nearly black’ is now the approved colour.

It’s an optional item that they are “required” to posess.
As an optional item they get to choose whether to wear them…same as any other optional item.

Does the Sqn also enforce a ‘no stable belts’ rule? Or a no charity wrist bands rule? Do you as a female officer have a hand bag? Does anyone ever use an umbrealla?

Unless your unit also bans every other optional item, then not only is a ‘no trousers rule’ against the intention of the dress regulations, it’s also highly unfair and potentially sexist.

Sticky wicket really. :unsure:[/quote]

They aren’t really optional. In theory, they could be ordered to wear them ie: for flying, but also if whoever was in charge of a formal parade decided they wanted everyone in trousers (which does happen).

Completely agreed though.

[quote=“emmab” post=11143][quote=“tango_lima” post=7292]See…the sooner they bin the skirts from the RAF uniform, the better… :wink:
[/quote]

No way! I was proud to be a female cadet, and now a female officer, and I love the fact that our squadron has a no-trouser rule for the girls as it immediately accentuates the difference between the sexes and shows we can still be feminine and smart capable squadron members.[/quote]

:ohmy:

They want equality by showing the differences?!

I’m confused …

[quote=“ddr61” post=11446]They want equality by showing the differences?!

I’m confused …[/quote]

Your not the only one!