New Shooting Badges and terminology changes

This. People appear to be criticising something which hasn’t happened.

2 Likes

It’s change for change sake rather than a realistic appraisal of who might be affected.

We are going down the route of some NHS trusts, people who chest feed, etc.

Anyway, for social media posts, Cdt Bloggs applied the principles of marksmanship very well & was awarded his bronze shooting badge. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Not really sure what the devil emoji is for; that would be an entirely appropriate post. Well, except we don’t award badges for applying principles, rather for achieving a standard in a specified CLF. It’s a small detail I’m sure nobody cares about but feel free to conduct a realistic appraisal of who might be adversely affected.

Besides, it’s not change for the sake of change (I have better things to do with my life). Else, why would others be bothering?

https://edu.admin.ox.ac.uk/good-practice-in-communication#:~:text=When%20writing%20about%20people%20in,documents%20as%20they%20are%20revised.

2 Likes

The same can be said if making.the change.

I can fully understand how a female (or anyone else who identifies as other than male) could have an issue with “Airman”. But Marksmanship is in no way the same and to pretend as such is quite frankly an insult to those who have real issues that they need to fight.

5 Likes

If there’s an issue I can help you with, please submit a change request.

1 Like

Weathers getting bad in this teacup here!!

2 Likes

One small step for RAFAC, one giant leap for mankind.

2 Likes

So the Mail Online are going with this as their first line:

The RAF Air Cadets have been accused of being ‘over-sensitive’ after members were ordered to stop using the term ‘marksman’ in a bid to be ‘gender-neutral’.

Again, just not true. This change only refers to the badges, moving from ‘Marksmanship badges’ to ‘Shooting badges’.

I seem to remember a debate several years ago around dropping the the term “shooting” and replacing it with “marksmanship” as it was deemed too aggressive for cadets, the biggest change that resulted was the targetry being dehumanised (figure 11 being cut & pasted with legs only to avoid the perception of shooting at people).

The use of vocabulary is fluid and some words have been confined to the history books or described as “of their time” when watching reruns of TV & films made several decades ago. I suspect in 20-30 years current phrases might be considered offensive or obsolete. We must move forward and remain committed to reflecting the society we live in, without being too puritanical or resistant to change in our approach.

4 Likes

The Torygraph article above has been added to and edited. Then there’s the comments section which is full of, ironically, people calling others snowflakes for being upset at wording :rofl:.

It really is a cesspit and some of the overt racism, homophobia, transphobia and ill-informed bigotry going unchecked is exactly why we need to be able to move towards more inclusive language.

2 Likes

It’s this irony I love.

No one gets more angry and upset about pronouns and gender terms than boomers.

They have actual TV stations dedicated to getting upset about language.

2 Likes

I see he is the Transport Correspondent for the Telegraph as of 8th January - seems an odd topic for him to be writing about in that capacity.
Previous to that he was their (Contract) Money writer and before that (contract) senior Technology reporter

slow news day for a minor story to be picked up by a reporter who has no experience in this space of diversity or youth/volunteer sector?

He definitely does. He used to be a cadet and I think CI, and was a very active member of these forums.

1 Like

Ironically his Alias with Marksman

Probably where he got wind of the change initially :grimacing:

It’s interesting that the Telegraph article quotes a “shooting instructor” saying how they disagree with this change, and also how it’s been all over SM so they think it’s a stunt. I’ve not actually seen any of this on SM… Only seen @dazizian say that it was going to be posted? But has it actually been posted?

Also, Gaz, if you’re watching this thread, go and look at the shooting hubs situation, especially within South West. That’ll get you a nice juicy story about wasting tax payers money…

4 Likes

Ive mused over this, this morning. Ive come to the following conclusion. Any naming change wont change delivery…and if it impacts your delivery, maybe your inability to change to something so small makes me question ability to change to a more complex change. So based on that id question whether an individual would be appropriate to deliver such a risk to life activity.

ooh ok i wasn’t aware of that.

Who cares? It’s not like we shoot anymore anyway.

3 Likes

this topic really needs its own diversity thread imo but:

I recently took part in some diversity training in work (not because i got something wrong, my employer is very savvy when it comes to personal health including non-physical reasons to be ill and has signed up to a provider which provides monthly webinars on such subjects*) it was an open invite to attend and one of the most powerful elements of the whole hour was when the presenter told us to consider three people who are the most important in our lives, and then consider the three most important activities in our lives which could be work, a hobby, watching sport, spending time with family (i suspect as CFAVs the RAFAC would be included in our lists).
We were then told to imagine meeting a stranger, perhaps a new coworker joining the team at work, or meeting the new partner of a friend, and we had to engage in conversation explaining ourselves without mentioning the three people or three activities we enjoy most. that is what it can be like for people who are LGBTQ+ when they meet people [/]all the time[/u] not just new people as they cannot be themselves, they feel that cannot talk openly about who they are, or what is important to them because the environment isn’t welcoming.

if changing the use of “man” in some terminology we have helps people feel less oppressed then so be it. it isn’t just about the people around them and how they are treated but the whole environment that people are in that allows such individuals to feel more comfortable.

*upcoming topics include
ultra-processed food and the impact on your health
Wellbeing as a habit
financial wellbeing
relaxation and meditation
how to recognise burnout etc

Also, another vote for Sharpshooting Principles. That works well.

5 Likes