New Rules Regarding Ageing Out

I’m currently a 17 year old Cpl in LaSER who turns 18 in a few months. I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide some clarification on what my options are when I turn 18. Will I be allowed to stay on as a Cdt Cpl or if I am hopefully promoted to Sgt before my birthday? I have done a lot of research on the internet but nowhere seems to be able to provide a definitive answer. (I’m going on a BASIC in a few weeks, and my DBS check won’t be a issue, it’s more my current progress through the ATC that seems to be the problem)

Thanks in advance,
A confused Cpl

Your staff wouldn’t send you on a BASIC if they didn’t intend on keeping you. Have a chat with your Sqn OC for clarification.

1 Like

It’s sounds to me like you are being quoted an obsolete rule as cadets of any rank can stay in the corps past their 18th birthday. As TF suggests speak to OC about what they have planned for you. There are to options for over 18’s you can either stay as you are as a cadet or you can become the staff cadet and take on additional responsibilities, ACP20 has this information in and you should have access to this via bader sharepoint. There is a terms of reference for you to read, accept and sign if you wish to take on the ‘staff cadet’ role.

No imminent promotion unfortunately, good luck

ACP20, PERS501 applies. Para 3 states:

Cadets aged 18 and 19 are known as “Staff Cadets” and wear an epaulette inscribed with “Staff Cadet” and their NCO rank badge, as appropriate. However, for continued service beyond their 18th birthday cadets must meet the following criteria:

a. Pass the Basic Adult Staff Induction Course (BASIC) and the Staff Cadet Module.
b. Obtained a valid enhanced DBS check in accordance with ACP 4, Chapter 8.
c. Achieved the Leading Cadet classification.
d. Completed a Staff Cadet Service Agreement. (copy at Annex D )
e. Possess a specific skill that adds value to the ATC, such as:

• (1) Flying and gliding; VGS Staff Cadet, AEF Staff Cadet, GS (solo), Flying Scholarship,
          • Pilot Navigation Scholarship, Gliding Instructor.
    • (2) Shooting; any training or supervisory qualifications.
    • (3) Adventure training; any recognised instructional or supervisory qualifications.
    • (4) Ground training; qualifications or skills in first aid, food handling, radio communications,
          • BTEC in Aviation Studies or Public Services, musical instruments, leadership, information technology.
    • (5) Sport; qualifications in coaching a specific sport or a Community Sports Leader’s qualification.
    • (6) Any other significant qualification that will be of value to a Squadron.
1 Like

As has been suggested you will need to have a chat with your CO.

The actual criteria for retention have been outlined above. They are subject to how your Wing Commander chooses to interpret them. The main point to note is that 18+ you are effectively now acting as a member of staff. As such you need to have a skill or qualification that will benefit your squadron.

In my wing (also in Laser) the Wing Cmdr will insist that staff cadets are SNCO quality. That means they are already at least a Sgt or occasionally - due to be promoted to Sgt within 6 months max.

The theory is that if they are not operating at that level then they are not ready to act as staff.

A somewhat flawed theory, since 2 years later they can join with no prior experience and still be a full-blown CFAV.
Promotion is a factor of time in service, the competitive environment and availability of spaces. To rule our a good candidate simply because they didn’t secure SNCO in that environment is short-sighted.

It sounds to me like the people in LASER, who’s initial 18+ cadet review around 10 years ago (that bore their name) broke the ATC until it was amended, won’t be told.

The whole over 18 being of value system is BS based purely on this point

I made this observation years ago at a CO conference and everyone went “oh yeah”, I wondered if I was the only person to see this. The Wg Cdr said only I would see it like that.

The other nonsense point is that we are desperate for adult staff so binning them at 18 on some vague pretext is extremely short-sighted. You don’t expect everyone to stay as staff when they hit 20, but if 20% did, we would be a lot better off staff wise. Ask yourself what would lure you back to the ATC at 20-22 if you had been unceremonially dumped at 18?

I’ve promoted cadets just so they tick(ed) that box and so did / have many of my compatriots. Many people see and saw it (when it came in) as a way of effectively getting rid of cadets they didn’t like. There were a few who played the ‘are they SNCO material’ card and ended up with squadrons with no older cadets.

What came out after the LASER review was that the over 18s processed was a rushed afterthought (based around CRB as was requirements for adults working with children) and hence we ended up with something which initially was even more odd than the current fubar process.