New RAF Hair Policy

Just in from the Army

1 Like

is the link broken…i cannot see it…=(

It still works for me…
But here’s a snap:

I guess the point is that the hair is still tidy.

I see plaits making their way into buns in a very high proportion of female uniforms (both regular and our cadets) so why not cut out the last bit of the process (putting it in a bun).

The RAF Briefing note just got shared in my sector.

This is a good step forward in my opinion. As others have said though, cadets will still need to be encouraged to keep hair neat and tidy within their chosen style of wear.

Oh, and yes, it’s ladies only.

I’ve seen the Army Briefing note too. Female hair is similar.

Beards are in it too.

Edit: read the beard regs properly, religious or medical grounds, no change there

Apparently the current Army Sergeant Major is very anti-beard. The next one might be more likely to support and push for a change.

From what I’ve heard, and the banter about it on FYB, the troops want them. And I can see why.

The message sent out by “Beards are too dirty and unkempt - OH but not if it’s religious” continues to be, to say the least, problematic, but I suppose that’s taking us further off-topic.

1 Like

Facebook post from the Commandant

Delighted that the Royal Air Force has amended appearance policy for female colleagues so that we better reflect the society we serve - these same inclusive changes will also be made applicable to the Royal Air Force Air Cadets.

And to add to that, the link he’s posted says:

The RAF Dress and Appearance policy for all serving women, both Regular and Reserves, and female Air Cadets, has been updated and will come into immediate effect.

Except the regulations applicable to RAFAC - AP1358C - have NOT been amended to reflect this policy.

It’s disappointing that yet again a policy change is promulgated via Facebook and not by the updating of the correct documentation and notification via the CoC.

3 Likes

if you’re near the bottom of the chain (as most of us are), it’s probably being promulgated but not got to you yet? :slight_smile: how long do things get stuck at RHQ/ WHQ?

I don’t have an issue with the Cmdt telling us via other means and telling us the document has been updated - it’s not his fault directly if someone else at HQAC has not yet uploaded the new document even it has been updated.

2 Likes

Not really - the core document is on Sharepoint for all to access. It’s not been updated since 2018.

2 Likes

Maybe they should release an IBN like they did for beards… and/or get rid of this whole “passing it down the chain” nonsense that serves little purpose except delaying things

5 Likes

what Cadet04 said

i don’t think anyone is realistically expecting AP1358C to be updated overnight with this minor amendment, but it would be nice to know through official channels at the very least concurrently to SM posting

1 Like

Amendments to Royal Air Force Air Cadet Appearance Policy for Female Personnel

3 Likes

that’s specifically why I said “via other means” and not “via social media”, to cover IBNs and Sharepoint notices :slight_smile: (which I think means we’re actually agreeing! :wink: )

Great that an IBN has now been released to confirm CAC’s social media posting.

Laughable that they use someone who has hair that does not conform to the ‘no wider than the width of the head’ policy to illustrate it! :rofl:

1 Like